Previous topicNext topic

Keyframe timeline

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
D1gits

Keyframe timeline

Post by D1gits »

Hi all!

I have yet another feature that would add to my user experience and make my workflow even better. Right now I'm using Vezér to create precise movements of objects inside of MMV. It works well but its a bit of a hassle to listen to midi set up scenes and so on. For me a "timeline expression" would help out quite a bit! I use MMV as a animation program in combination with Resolume Arena. Much like a animation sequencer inside of Datatons Watchout. If MMV would move a bit more towards a realtime animation program I think that MMV would have a whole new User base : )

Anyone else having thoughts about this?
blackdot

Re: Keyframe timeline

Post by blackdot »

imho i see magic more as an interactive realtime program for live stuff but as an animation software for creating video files. of course, the ability to create videos is very handy, but for that purpose you could also do your final compositing in after effects or blender or so and use magic to create assets.

speaking only for me of course :).
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

There is a bit of discussion in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=139

In the next version of Magic (2.0), I am hoping to add support for loading MIDI files, which will provide a kind of programmable sequencer, and it will work both in real-time and with exporting movies.

I am also hoping to add a MIDI recording/saving feature, so that you can record live MIDI input and then play it back or use it for exporting movies also.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what timeline features I will be able to implement. I would never be able to compete with AfterEffects, for example. So I have to focus on things that make Magic unique. We'll see :)
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

I hear what you guys say, and of course It would never compete against After effects in any way. But still, there are so many benefits when building a realtime performance where you would have the possibility to have a timeline. Lets say that I want to create a live animated object that moves around from A to B in the X and Y axis, meanwhile affected by audio in the timeframe of 13,4 seconds. This is more or less what Im after. Having a midi file that affects the X and Y would have the same impact but it would add yet another step in the process. In the shows I'm creating the need of having exact control over actions is KEY to the be able to interact with other parts/programs in my show. Well Im thrilled to see whats there to come in 2.0.
Something like this
Something like this
MMV.jpg (82.62 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
Just can't wait ; )