Previous topicNext topic

User Generated Library of Projects ?

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Slavi

User Generated Library of Projects ?

Post by Slavi »

Hi,

I love Magic and as a user I find it really interesting and educational what other users made.

For different projects I have used Arduino IDE, where there is a really convinient Lib section with a lot of pre-made projects.

Not sure how usefull this would be in the big picture, but I wanted to share my idea with the great team!

Regards,
S.
artnik

Re: User Generated Library of Projects ?

Post by artnik »

I think it's a great idea.

There are two issues I can think of though – many works rely on third party modules or media that are not present in the base install, so there needs to be documentation of sources for those, or a way to upload those along with the project.

There may also be licensing issues involved if elements such as video loops or music used in the project are copyrighted. From what I've seen many effects are tuned to specific input material, and vice versa, and would need to have the media included to be effective learning examples.

Having said that, I'd love to see something like this as a resource.

To address point one, perhaps Eric can extend the the COLLECT ASSETS function to also include collection of used modules, which can easily be added as an "Additional Folder" when starting up Magic.

Cheers!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Of course! I would love to have something like that. Should it just be a new forum where people can post their projects, or should it be something more like a directory / file browser?
To address point one, perhaps Eric can extend the the COLLECT ASSETS function to also include collection of used modules, which can easily be added as an "Additional Folder" when starting up Magic.
There are a couple issues with that unfortunately. One of them is the same as what you mentioned for loops/music/etc.: there is no way for the Collect Assets function to tell which modules are proprietary/copyrighted. Another (bigger) problem is that there is usually no way to tell what supplemental files are necessary for the modules to work. For example, a lot of FFGL plugins depend on additional .dll files.

For now, the Collect Assets function prints out a list of any third-party modules that were used in the project, which was suggested to me as an alternative solution. To go beyond that would require me to get some legal advice :), especially if the projects are hosted on my server.

Thoughts?
artnik

Post by artnik »

Dang, I didn't even think of copyright on the modules. Mea culpa.