Previous topicNext topic

Echo Trace

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Fractal Grinder

Echo Trace

Post by Fractal Grinder »

I kinda like this Echo Trace ISF effect a lot, and I just started putting into some of my core projects and other stuff, and i think its crashing my Magic when combined with the multiple Trails modules I have in the scene or maybe some other modules, its got quite a bit, I'm wondering if its possible to maybe put a native Echo Trace into Magic?

*The crash isn't shutting down my Magic, but my frame rate drops to like 13 from 60, and everything goes blank/black. I've had a couple similar crashes like this but it really seems when I trigger the Echo Trace on my MIDI controller is when it sets this particular glitch off. And usually the Echo Trace works fine if its just on a video or something, its when its combined with a couple of modules on 3D models and other stuff that this happens.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Echo Trace

Post by Magic »

Hmm, what's Echo Trace? I haven't heard of it before. Can you post it?
Fractal Grinder

Its a bit like "Trails" but I've noticed it can kind of trace lines on videos without transparency, so it can work in places where trails cannot. I've tried Googling "Echo Trace Gif" because ive most def seen people use this effect on GIFs, but I can find any good examples, I might make a video using the effect on my own videos, and compare them to what Trails does so you can see a side by side if you wouldn't mind checking that out?
Fractal Grinder

http://www.interactiveshaderformat.com/sketches/326

There is the effect im talking about, you can kind of play with the threshold to see what I mean by tracing parts of the video.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ah, well really that's just the same as LumaKey -> Trails. You can play around with the settings, but it looks very similar if you set both the LumaKey Falloff and the Trails Strength to 1.0.
Fractal Grinder

Yeah that looks great, I dont think I've played with Lumakey enough. this might look better and give me a bit more control then the echo Trace ISF... thanks man