Previous topicNext topic

Drop Shadow

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
D1gits

Drop Shadow

Post by D1gits »

I would love to be able to let a image make a drop shadow to layers under it. Think it would ad a lot to the look of the compositions.

Also, in the long run, i would love to even have a "light" to be able to direkt the shadow in X/Y/Z with the possibility to let the music to impact this, and the brightness of the light. All to have fantastic live reactive shadows : )
blackdot

Re: Drop Shadow

Post by blackdot »

You could just take a black quare, blur it a little and position it behind the object you want to have a drop shadow. Maybe theres a way to easily change opacity now, but if not, you could make it a dark grey (or how much you want) and then multiply it with the background.

To avoid problems i think you should do coloring first, blurring last, then into the layer module to multiply.

You could then rig the position and even the amount of blur to midi/music.

Also: now you're thinking with layers :P
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yeah a drop shadow is basically just a copy of the foreground image, with its color set to all grey or black, and then blurred a little bit. You could use the Translate module to move the shadow around and simulate light direction.

Have you used ISF before? There are some blur effects in the ISF download in this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=515&p=2265

This post might also help: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=412
D1gits

Post by D1gits »

Thanks for the creative thinking!

That would do it for now, i guess. But I would still love the features of having a light source to play with to further enhance a 3D feeling of the compositions...
And thanks for pointing out the ISF blur sources : )