Previous topicNext topic

Magic Window Frame

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Reigel

Magic Window Frame

Post by Reigel »

Hi,

I am planning to do a setup which comprises two projectors aside to get a super wide image, 3840 x 1080 px.

So my first thought was to use the surround feature of NVidia. Unfortunately this wont' work for this can't use just two screens as one for the projection and leave the third for the program window. Either all three screens as one or just two and the third is black. Not what I need to work.
So I set it up as normal extended desktop.
But that means that the Fullscreen will not work. So I have to use the "small" Magic Window and draw it to the size needed. This works reasonable. But there is one drawback: The white bar on top of the window is disturbing a lot. And it can't be moved out of the screen.

So I want to ask if ther is a chance to get rid of that bar.
Of course if there was a chance that Magic could span the Fullscreen Magic Window over two outputs this would be perfect. But I am afraid that this is just not that easy as I write this down.
I would be happy with the vanished frame.

Best
Reinhard
blackdot

Re: Magic Window Frame

Post by blackdot »

Hm right. +1 for borderless windows :)
dj0le

Post by dj0le »

Multi-projector mapping is a lot of fun, but I don't think Magic is really the software to do it.

I would recommend using Syphon/Spout as your Magic Output and then projection mapping from within software specifically for that task (Arena, MadMapper, HeavyM). There are also some free / opensource options if you don't have the coin for the big programs (LPMT, VPT7, MWServer), but they can be pretty flaky so definitely test them out before your actual event.

Regardless, any decent mapping software will give you access to projector blending, mesh warping, etc that make it much easier to accomplish what you want. It's actually quite difficult to line up 2 projectors for one big picture without using software specifically designed to do it.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

I know that, mapping is a different task. And I tried out some of the named apps and more. But all of them take time which is very critical for me. And all of them use a piece of my valuable computing power. (And I always had the feeling they do no good to the image quality - but that might be subjective)
So I want to keep it as simple and direct as possible and not bring another piece of software into the setup.
This is a project with a live band and must be as reactive as possible. So I have already to be careful which projector is involved ( e.g. Panasonics usually take more time) and no additional gear as converters is in the line.

I accept the drawbacks of that direct approach. And since I am usually projecting on a flat surface the main thing will be to align the two projectors as good as possible.

Best
Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yeah, I've been planning to add better fullscreen support, such as spanning displays and even separate outputs for each display.
I know that, mapping is a different task. And I tried out some of the named apps and more. But all of them take time which is very critical for me. And all of them use a piece of my valuable computing power. (And I always had the feeling they do no good to the image quality - but that might be subjective)
So I want to keep it as simple and direct as possible and not bring another piece of software into the setup.
This is a project with a live band and must be as reactive as possible. So I have already to be careful which projector is involved ( e.g. Panasonics usually take more time) and no additional gear as converters is in the line.

I accept the drawbacks of that direct approach. And since I am usually projecting on a flat surface the main thing will be to align the two projectors as good as possible.
You are exactly right about every one of those things. Also, if audio reactivity is the focus of the performance, then projection mapping might "get in the way", from an artistic standpoint. If it were my audio-reactive performance, I would probably take the same purist approach.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

This is good news.
And I must say (once again): I never experienced a user forum such reactive and positive on user input. That ist outstanding.

Thanks! I am looking forward on things to come!
Reinhard
dj0le

Post by dj0le »

I'm surprised you guys think that just because Magic is so awesome running through Arena. There is no noticeable latency and the audio reactive visuals look even better when they are constrained to the actual output surface you are projecting onto (and you don't have any projector bleeding or warping weirdness when they are offset). If your computer/gpu is strong enough to push 2 projectors, then I really don't think running projection mapping software in the background will strain the system enough to be noticeable. But, to each their own, :).

Reigel - one other option you can consider: there are a few programs out there for gamers where it does 'multi-monitor' spanning and basically the computer no longer sees 2 projectors, but instead 1 giant projector. If you install that, then when you maximize your Magic Window, it should work. Haven't tried that myself, but it's a possible option to investigate.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Hmmm. I did in fact a setup with arena and could not accept the latency. But maybe I did some fault in the setup? I will give that a try again.
And also I will check Your other proposal with gamer apps. Those should be pretty much reactive by nature.

But however - and this is maybe more a feeling than science - having just one app running at the show gives me a much safer feeling. So if Eric is planning to do a multi screen spanning option this is my favorite. My experience with Resolume is not the most secure. I know that a lot of installations out there run without problems. But for whatever reasons with my setup and scenes I had random crashes all the time. Maybe I did things which are not planned to be. Magic was rock solid all the time. That is a fact for me and most important.

Thanks for Your thoughts and hints
Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

if Eric is planning to do a multi screen spanning option this is my favorite.
Just be aware that, as with all feature requests, I can't give an exact timeline for implementation. If you need the display-spanning feature in the next couple months, you might want to look at other possible solutions.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Yes, that is pretty clear.
The first gig with that setup would most probably be in summer. So I am pretty confident.

Reinhard
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Reigel wrote:Yes, that is pretty clear.
The first gig with that setup would most probably be in summer. So I am pretty confident.

Reinhard
i think "next couple of months" may include the summer ;)
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

We will see (and have a plan B).

Reinhard