Previous topicNext topic

Video Rendering, Export Impovement/Option

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Fractal Grinder

Video Rendering, Export Impovement/Option

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Hey i have been rendering videos for my own clips. And I noticed to get a perfect loop for some stuff, you would need to make a video twice as long, and then cut it in half.

Let me explain what I mean,

I want a video clip, with the loop of the trails coming at the screen via the Z axis. Now that wont empass the whole screen untill the trails hit the edge of the screen, Thats when I want my loop to start, and its a pain in the ass, and I lose a lot of quality when I split it my other programs i use. So i was wondering , if in the Export movie feature, you could add, "Split Video in Half After Render" or something, or a way to tell magic to only record or export after a certain amount of frames being produced...

I hope I was able to explain clearly enough.

Thanks,

Tyler
dj0le

Re: Video Rendering, Export Impovement/Option

Post by dj0le »

Just curious what other software are you using? Have you tried FFMPEG?

FFMPEG runs from the command line and you can use it to do tons of different things. It can easily extract a portion of your video without changing the quality. You just specify the section you want in time or frames and pull a streamcopy of that (ie - it's still the original and so the quality doesn't change in any way). It's also a very fast process since it isn't modifying the original content so it only takes a few seconds to pull out what you want.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I like FFmpeg too, and it has a lot of great functionality.

Another thing you can try is Magic's .png export option, because it renders the video to individual still image frames, and then you can choose exactly which frames to start and end with. There is no loss of quality because .png's use lossless compression.

Also, I'm not sure if you are creating your video clips to be re-used in Magic's Video module, but if you are, you can always specify the Start and End loop points so you don't have to trim your clips beforehand.
Fractal Grinder

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Hey guys thanks for your response. I'll look into FFMPEG a little bit more, because its not the first time its been recommended here. I am using these, mostly, just to run back into Magic, as a way to save some CPU power, have videos instead of scenes. But I also may run them into Resolume, actually very likely for the future. So it looks like splitting them with FFMPEG is the best option for me currently.

I gotta say though, if this was added into Magic one day, to save the hassle of cutting and all this, it would probably help with my workflow, a lot. But right now I'm more worried about other additions to Magic I've mentioned, so I'm totally cool with finding workarounds, its just a suggestion.

Thanks for your helps guys I really appreciate it.

:D
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I am using these, mostly, just to run back into Magic, as a way to save some CPU power, have videos instead of scenes.
In that case you should definitely just use the Start Time and End Time parameters in the Video module, as I mentioned before. You won't have to worry about editing, splitting or re-encoding anything.

So for example, if your video is 10 seconds long but you only want to loop the second half, just enter 5 as the Start Time.