Previous topicNext topic

MULTIPLE REQUESTS

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Kvasnik

MULTIPLE REQUESTS

Post by Kvasnik »

So I've slowly been compiling a list of suggestions / ideas and here's where's it's at. They are more ideas than requests. I've started with the bigger suggestions and then finish with smaller cosmetic ideas.

GENERAL INTERACTION CHANGES
> preview output to monitor
the ability to view a scene on the computer, before sending it to the fullscreen output, so I could check a scene before sending it out. I'm guessing this would have the consequence of doubling the processing power required by the computer.
> information about the output.
So in magic it would display text with where the main output is going, e.g. "monitor 1", "monitor 2". So when working with multiple outputs which I can't always see (e.g. a projector in another room), I can look at my computer to see where the signal is being sent. Maybe also with there could be information of which scene is currently playing (at the moment you have to look for the highlighted scene). Or even put the framerate and other performance info all into one window.
> a clipboard / library, for modules to import for projects.
Each module could be added by the user to the clipboard (from the right click menu of module). Then, the clipboard could be opened and modules could be cut from it and paste into the current project. (a list would be easiest, a pane would be more work). This is similar to the idea of a 'save preset' feature for the modules which we discussed already, but I think this would be simpler to implement.

MODULE-SPECIFIC CHANGES
> on video player: option for 'hold on output' - when selected (on), as the video gets to the end it holds the last frame, rather than go blank (as it does currently unless loop is enabled). This would be useful for using animations.
> remember 'frames' / time when sending videos through the input selector, so they wouldn't restart each time they are switched on/off by the input selector.
> for scale module: 'keep aspect' select box, to make x=y
> for input selector: 'auto detect inputs' and 'random'+'time'. So 'auto-detect' would set the number limit, 'random' would make the cycle through the inputs random, and 'time' is the cycle speed. This would be I guess the main way most people would use this module.
> adjust gain on vid cameras

SMALL USABILITY CHANGES
> ability to minimize magic whilst exporting
> shortcut for export (e.g. ctrl+E)
> export 'auto resolution' - a check box that, when selected, takes the resolution from the current magic output setting.
> make the yes/no pop-up boxes more conspicuous. Sometimes I don't see them until my actions are blocked by a required response.
> disable midi connections (free up for other programs). Currently, if I open magic first, and then open my music program,
the music program does not receive some of the midi connections from hardware controllers. It can be an issue if one of the two
programs needs to close and re-open during a performance.

That's it :-)
Magic
Site Admin

Re: MULTIPLE REQUESTS

Post by Magic »

Thanks! :) I appreciate you taking the time to do all that. A few of the items are on my list already, but I will be sure to add the rest.

Just one minor note - disabling MIDI is currently implemented as Window > Disable All MIDI Input. Is it not working for you?
Kvasnik

Re: MULTIPLE REQUESTS

Post by Kvasnik »

No worries!

I just checked the disable midi input in various different arrangements, and it works fine, even with both programs (video and music) open, I can get the midi where I want it. Thanks! Sometimes I miss the obvious stuff