Previous topicNext topic

Rotate AXES or Unified Transform

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
artnik

Rotate AXES or Unified Transform

Post by artnik »

I find I'm constantly adding three modules when using Rotate Axis. Not a big whup, just a little messy, but similar to Translate and Scale, would it make sense to include all 3 axes in the module as opposed to the dropdown selector?

To be honest, I'm actually normally adding a Scale, Translate AND 3 Rotate Axis modules just as often. Would an additional unified Transform module combining all three be feasible? Scenes can get messy fast.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Rotate AXES or Unified Transform

Post by Magic »

I find I'm constantly adding three modules when using Rotate Axis. Not a big whup, just a little messy, but similar to Translate and Scale, would it make sense to include all 3 axes in the module as opposed to the dropdown selector?
That's exactly what the RotateVector module is for. It allows you to specify an arbitrary moveable axis to rotate around, which is the same as combining a rotation around two or three axes. It does require a bit of math skills though :)
To be honest, I'm actually normally adding a Scale, Translate AND 3 Rotate Axis modules just as often. Would an additional unified Transform module combining all three be feasible? Scenes can get messy fast.
The only problem is that the left-to-right order of modules is crucial. Scaling after Translating is different than Translating after Scaling, for example. I'm not sure how you would specify the order if everything were in one module, but I certainly will think about it.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Ah, the old order of operations. Makes sense.

The Rotate Vector does the job done in a single dialogue, but isn't very intuitive, as noted. :-)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I guess I could add an option to specify angles instead of a rotation vector, but I'm not sure if it would be any more intuitive.

The problem is that order matters even just for two axis rotations, so you get a different result depending on which is first. For example:
PolygonRotation.png
PolygonRotation.png (63.77 KiB) Viewed 4793 times
You can see that the top square (red) has Y-Axis then X-Axis, and the bottom one (cyan) has X-Axis then Y-Axis, all with an Angle of .1. The resulting positions are not the same, otherwise the squares would overlap perfectly.
Scenes can get messy fast.
Have you tried using the Scene/SceneInput modules? These let you encapsulate groups of modules into just one module, so they can be helpful in keeping things clean (as well as reusing things). See https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... putModules or just try opening the "SceneInputExample.magic" sample project.
artnik

Post by artnik »

I've been using Scenes to organize, reuse common elements and do some layered cross-fades in the playlist, but haven't used the SceneInput yet. That is genius. Thanks!