Previous topicNext topic

Spline Module

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Sadler

Spline Module

Post by Sadler »

For 2016? A bezier (SVG, AI) that could be transformed in 3D space with a poly input for extrude shape and a start and end value for the position of the extrude along the spline. Possible options for segments, scale profiles (for bulges and tapers) and textures.
Sadler

Re: Spline Module

Post by Sadler »

OK there seems to be little interest in this idea but perhaps I didn't explain too well or what I was requesting was too adventurous (or too boring). However, let me have another attempt at trying to drum up some enthusiasm. Starting with a simple spline of a few vertices one can create a wide range of radial and linear designs (see vid). Imagine ECG, oscilloscopes, huds, etc. too. Another potential use would be in projection mapping where splines could be used to delineate edges to apply glows, colour and chasers. If there was a way to draw said splines (and polys for that matter) in the output window that would expand the scope of MV into new territory.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Spline Module

Post by Magic »

Sorry, I must have missed your post before. I'm not really an expert in this area unfortunately. To use graphics acceleration, the splines would have to be drawn using geometry and/or shaders, and I think each method would present challenges (especially for nice artifact-free lines). Also, the spline definition would have to be in some kind of external text file, because Magic doesn't currently allow for adding additional parameters to modules (i.e., if you wanted to add more points). So there wouldn't be much dynamic control, and in the end I'm not sure how much advantage there would be over just playing a video. I'll have to think about it for a bit.