Previous topicNext topic

Concrete needs !

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
TanookiMonk

Concrete needs !

Post by TanookiMonk »

Me again !

I am in the making of a video clip so i used magic in a different way that i am used too. And this lead me to this thread as i have a couple of simple request that could have helped me a lot ! So let's start :

- Ability to take screenshots
- When the input is a song file : hitting play should restart the first scene in the playlist (currently he's just continue playing it)
- Already talked before : A delay device between 1ms to 1 minutes this could be great for effect or just for making the scene evolve
- A trigger device that could be linked to the playlist : When using the playlist without having to add a new scene to the playlist, this option could just trigger an event into a scene at a specific time
- Add more interpolation for image input (bi-cubic, nearest neighbor,bi linear) this could add a lot of quality for smaller image see here : http://www.mathworks.com/help/vision/ug ... thods.html
- a bounce function for video playing device. so instead of looping when arrive at the end of the file magic start playing it in reverse until he reach the start and start again.
- a bounce function for rendering, so basically the same thing but this could be helpful for creating looping videos of a more randomize scene that usually could not be looped properly
- A batch render function for all scene in a project, like example render 20 seconds for every scene in a separate file
- A batch render for multiple project
- A more precise playlist player, as for now, when moving the player cursor it is not really accurate
- A more expanded playlist player with marks when scenes change
- A built in freeze plugin
- A built in color reduction plugin
- A "IF" device ! Sowhen plugin "X" position = XYZ Then do "ZZZ"

So like i said i had a couple :P all of these feature came at some point, something that could has been useful. So i am pretty sure other people could be in the need to. Thank you a lot Eric for your time this software is a beast and this is why i am taking time to write you down how as a user what we could need.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Concrete needs !

Post by Magic »

Ok thanks very much :). Lots of good ideas. But I do think a few them are in Magic already (or will be), unless I am not understanding:
- When the input is a song file : hitting play should restart the first scene in the playlist (currently he's just continue playing it)
That's what the "Audio file control" option is for. When enabled, pressing play will start the playlist at the corresponding time.
- Already talked before : A delay device between 1ms to 1 minutes this could be great for effect or just for making the scene evolve
When you say "device", what do you mean exactly? There will be a new Delay modifier in 1.63, up to 1 second, but maybe you're talking about something else?
- A trigger device that could be linked to the playlist : When using the playlist without having to add a new scene to the playlist, this option could just trigger an event into a scene at a specific time
You could do this in a few different ways. Here's one example:
Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 10.51.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 10.51.17 AM.png (23.1 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
In this case I wanted the second input to appear after 5 seconds, so I set the Increase value to .2 (1/5).
- a bounce function for video playing device. so instead of looping when arrive at the end of the file magic start playing it in reverse until he reach the start and start again.
Most video codecs can't be played backwards very efficiently (or at all). But you could definitely do this with the JpegFolder module and a Triangle Oscillator modifier to control the index:
Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 10.57.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 10.57.33 AM.png (33.07 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
Not sure what this means. :) Can you elaborate?
Also not sure what this means. :)
Do you mean desaturate? Couldn't you do this with the HueSaturation module?
TanookiMonk

Post by TanookiMonk »

That's what the "Audio file control" option is for. When enabled, pressing play will start the playlist at the corresponding time.
Yes exacly, he will start the playlist ! But il explained my case for better understanding : So i have my first scene on the left wich is also the first scene in my playlist. In this scene i made a fade in effect using The "Increase" Modulator on a brightness option. So when i reset my scene using Ctrl + E A beautiful fade in appears. This fade in not happen when using playlist as he does not reset the scene

When you say "device", what do you mean exactly? There will be a new Delay modifier in 1.63, up to 1 second, but maybe you're talking about something else?
No this is exactly what i mean :)

You could do this in a few different ways. Here's one example:

In this case I wanted the second input to appear after 5 seconds, so I set the Increase value to .2 (1/5).
This is a good work around ! Thanks for this !

Most video codecs can't be played backwards very efficiently (or at all). But you could definitely do this with the JpegFolder module and a Triangle Oscillator modifier to control the index:
Man you saved my life just there !!

Not sure what this means. :) Can you elaborate?
Sorry, my bad english :P ! Bascaly a little overview of where on the timeline scene expected to happen, here is a little example :
1.png
1.png (51.5 KiB) Viewed 4494 times

Also not sure what this means. :)
A plugin that just takes a screenshot of whatever is going on screen and pause everything, so you can just press play again or not. Here is a little example of what you can do with. But when playing with this kind of effect if could bring a lot of potential. It is doable using the video plugin, but using it with everything else would bring some cool things !

Do you mean desaturate? Couldn't you do this with the HueSaturation module?
Well we had a plugin in Visual Jockey that was making a color reduction effect until only black and white would survive, kind of like a posterise effect but with more option.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

This fade in not happen when using playlist as he does not reset the scene
Hmm, I just tested it and it works for me. Whenever you switch to a new scene, all the modules should be reset. Maybe post a screenshot of what you are doing so I can see?

You may also want to try the option Synchronize Modules on Reselect in the Playlist menu, which additionally resets the modules when you select the current scene again.
Sorry, my bad english :P ! Bascaly a little overview of where on the timeline scene expected to happen, here is a little example :
That's interesting! Thanks. I will certainly add that to my list.
A plugin that just takes a screenshot of whatever is going on screen and pause everything, so you can just press play again or not.
Ahh, well you might want to try this one, which is part of the Vidvox ISF effects:
Freeze Frame.fs
(591 Bytes) Downloaded 374 times
If you haven't downloaded the ISF effects yet, have a look at this topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=515