Previous topicNext topic

Output Selector

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
TanookiMonk

Output Selector

Post by TanookiMonk »

Ok here is my idea : We already have an input selector wich works amazing. But what if i want to adress by example 4 sequenced effect on only one source. With the current input selector i would had to copy 4 times my input source with different effects. But this will cost a lot of Video Ram and Gpu usage. So by using an output selector would mean only 1 source with different path to choose. This could be a lot usefull for new ideas of course !
Sadler

Re: Output Selector

Post by Sadler »

Do you mean like this?
module_sources.jpg
module_sources.jpg (49.5 KiB) Viewed 5147 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The important thing to understand when using the InputSelector is that only the selected input is drawn. In Sadler's example (thanks Sadler :)), only the Array and Text modules are being drawn. The other modules are ignored (temporarily) by the GPU, so no resources are wasted. Cool eh?

Also worth mentioning is that, once you add a module to a scene, it is using VRAM. This is true whether or not it's being drawn. As Sadler demonstrated, if you are using the same source multiple times, it's best to use multiple output connections from it, rather than copying/pasting the module multiple times. Every additional copy uses extra VRAM, so the fewer copies, the better. For more information you can check out https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... ingModules

If you want to use the same source (or effect) in multiple different scenes, you can put it in a Scene Module for maximum efficiency. See https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... eneModules, and also check out this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12
TanookiMonk

Post by TanookiMonk »

Well thank you sadler for this example ! All this is making sense now :) but im glad to here what you said Eric about unused module are not using power while unused !
Kvasnik

Post by Kvasnik »

Hi Eric I was thinking of another possible feature: not to mix outputs for modules. So for example, you could have lots of different modules connected to a colour RGB module, and (by clicking a "don't mix" button) then an output connector for each input. The idea would be, I could edit multiple modules with one module (early in the module chain).

At the moment I find myself duplicating a lot of modules to apply the same effect to multiple sources.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

At the moment I find myself duplicating a lot of modules to apply the same effect to multiple sources.
For this exact purpose I created the Scene and SceneInput modules. A Scene becomes an effect, and you can use the Scene anywhere you want to apply the effect, but you only have to edit the effect parameters in one place. Have a look at this section of the User's Guide: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... eneModules, and especially scroll down to the SceneInput Modules section.

Also there is a sample project called "SceneInputExample.magic" which demonstrates the concept.
Hi Eric I was thinking of another possible feature: not to mix outputs for modules. So for example, you could have lots of different modules connected to a colour RGB module, and (by clicking a "don't mix" button) then an output connector for each input. The idea would be, I could edit multiple modules with one module (early in the module chain).
It's still an interesting idea though, and I will certainly look into it. :)