Previous topicNext topic

VUO integration

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
bareimage

VUO integration

Post by bareimage »

Hello, I would love to ask for Magic to implement VUO integration. Innitialy I was not impressed with their abilities. But VUO has considerably grown up. Both Coge and VDMX support it now.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: VUO integration

Post by Magic »

Does Vuo run on Windows? On the Vuo web site, it doesn't seem like Windows is supported. As far as I know, CoGe and VDMX don't run on Windows either. I can really only integrate something that runs on both Windows and OS X.

You may actually be surprised to know that more Magic customers use Windows than OS X.

If Vuo does decide to support Windows in the future, I will certainly have a look though. Feel free to keep me posted :)
bareimage

Post by bareimage »

They were supposed but then they screwed everyone over. I had alot of beef with their model. They started as open source, with crowdfound development. But now they became comercial project. They were supposed to work on winodws version but then canceled development
smokris

Post by smokris »

Hi, I'm Steve, one of Vuo's developers.

bareimage, thanks for asking about integration between Magic Music Visuals and Vuo.

And, Eric, thanks for taking it into consideration. As we did for VDMX and CoGe (which have both added Vuo support), we're happy to help smooth the way for integration. And, yes, we understand about your priority for Windows compatibility.

Now that Vuo has graduated from "beta" status (as of December 2014) and gotten to the point where it can do some interesting things, we're looking at the next stages of development. Vuo's development is funded partially by people purchasing Vuo, and partially by money that the small company behind Vuo earns through our work on other projects. Our priorities are driven by the Vuo community. Adding Windows support is something our current and potential community want to see. Realistically, it's also a project that will take many months, and our developers do need to eat during that time :^] . So we're actively looking at how to raise the funding to make that happen.

I also want to address some factual issues in bareimage's last post:
  1. The source code to Vuo's engine is and always has been available in 2 ways: The latest source code comes with a purchase of Vuo, and the 1-year-delayed source code is on Github. (The only thing that's changed is whether the editor is included in the source code package — we announced this change back in 2013.)
  2. From the very beginning, we've always said that latest version of Vuo would require payment — Vuo has always been a commercial project. Here's an archive.org snapshot of our explanation of that in 2012. In 2013, our crowdfunding campaign was intended to fund one year of development of Vuo for Mac, which we fulfilled. And we've continued developing and supporting Vuo full time since then.
  3. We still plan to make Vuo available on Windows (as I mentioned above). Back in 2013, it was on our "future work" list and now is something we're actively working toward.
(I realize we're on the Magic Music Visuals forum here, and I don't want to overflow it with discussion about Vuo, so feel free to contact us to continue the discussion.)