Previous topicNext topic

Re: Upcoming Features

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Eric wrote:- Option to keep small Magic Window visible simultaneously with fullscreen Magic Window
That could be really helpful, because then, the performer would not have to look at the projection, but could focus on the audience. I thought about solving this myself by buying a hdmi splitter and just put up another monitor. But will a second output window mean increased workload on the hardware or could this just be "mirrored" somewhere? Also the "info" with free graphics memory and framerate should be able to be viewed in the editing window somewhere. wouldnt want to display that on the output window during a performance.
Eric wrote:- Magic Window output to multiple simultaneous displays
Will that mean "same output" on multiple displays? Or will that include having n different outputs, which still happen in the same scene :shock: (would be awesome, yet n times as resource intensive, i imagine).
Eric wrote:- Animation of 3D models in Model module
If this means what I think it means, this would be my ultimate bliss. Imagine, instead of having to work with video clips, having a realtime 3d walkcycle figure, which reacts to audio inputs and is still free to be translated, scaled and rotated in 3d space (unlike a video). this would be.. cant find the words :). How do you plan to solve this, are you thinking about supporting fbx? (you already do collada, which also supports some degree of animation iirc, dont know about any others). Hmm, this would also require support of bones and all that things, no idea how this works on a game-engine-like side.

Have you ever thought about bringing 3d lights into the equation? (as i noticed the lighting of imported 3d-models is fixed)

After all that feedback I'm constantly sending your way, I also really want to say that I'm very happy to have bought magic and it's sure gonna be great in what ever direction it is headed. (not to say it's not great now, it is!)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

But will a second output window mean increased workload on the hardware or could this just be "mirrored" somewhere?
It would increase the workload a tiny bit, but not too much. The scene would only be drawn once, and then saved to a temporary image; and that image would be displayed in the other window.
Will that mean "same output" on multiple displays? Or will that include having n different outputs, which still happen in the same scene (would be awesome, yet n times as resource intensive, i imagine).
My goal is to have it so that different displays can show different things. The way I think it would work is that there would be multiple "Magic" modules in every scene, each one representing a different display. And you connect different parts of the scene to each one. But yes, it would be "n" times more resource-intensive.
If this means what I think it means, this would be my ultimate bliss. Imagine, instead of having to work with video clips, having a realtime 3d walkcycle figure, which reacts to audio inputs and is still free to be translated, scaled and rotated in 3d space (unlike a video). this would be.. cant find the words :). How do you plan to solve this, are you thinking about supporting fbx? (you already do collada, which also supports some degree of animation iirc, dont know about any others). Hmm, this would also require support of bones and all that things, no idea how this works on a game-engine-like side.
It would definitely involve using some kind of existing engine which supports bones/lighting/etc./etc., since I have absolutely no desire to write that from scratch :)! Overall though, this feature is probably a bit farther in the future...
After all that feedback I'm constantly sending your way, I also really want to say that I'm very happy to have bought magic and it's sure gonna be great in what ever direction it is headed. (not to say it's not great now, it is!)
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Eric wrote:
It would increase the workload a tiny bit, but not too much. The scene would only be drawn once, and then saved to a temporary image; and that image would be displayed in the other window.
Sounds great.
Eric wrote:My goal is to have it so that different displays can show different things. The way I think it would work is that there would be multiple "Magic" modules in every scene, each one representing a different display. And you connect different parts of the scene to each one. But yes, it would be "n" times more resource-intensive.
That would seriously be very cool. Im thinking multiple projectors, some with projection mapping on stage things. :)
Eric wrote:Overall though, this feature is probably a bit farther in the future...
Understandable :).