Previous topicNext topic

Modifiers bypass and midi

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
zikapapa

Modifiers bypass and midi

Post by zikapapa »

Hello,
i'm a drummer working on an interactive show. i use a Roland SPD-SX to send midi commands. It is a pad controller.
To change scenes with it is perfect. Modifier bypass responds to midi note on and midi note off to toggle between the two status.
My controller send note on, note off quite at the same time, so the function does'nt work.
To do the things i want i have to create new scenes, identical except the modifier value. At this point it is heavy to program and certainly cpu consuming.
I need 5, 10 scenes where i could have only one if modifier bypass work as the scenes change do, one hit, on, one hit (same pad) bypass!
It would'nt change so much to those using keyboard keys, maybe they will prefer that way, one hit on, one hit bypass, instead of to hold the key down all the time they want the modifier working.
I hope i've been clear, i'm french and my english is....
Your program is great, really love it, a very good investment!
best regards,

pat
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Modifiers bypass and midi

Post by Magic »

Hi Pat, I think what you are asking about is momentary vs. toggle?

This search query might provide some useful information from similar topics: search.php?keywords=momentary

Magic doesn't currently provide its own toggle option for MIDI, but it is on my list of things to add. However, some MIDI controllers let you directly configure it. For example, here is a screenshot from my Numark Orbit configuration utility:

Does your Roland have something like that?
zikapapa

Post by zikapapa »

Yes Eric that's exactly that!
People at Roland are genius and sometimes stupid. You can with the SPD-SX choose to send a midi external command with a gate time, cool, but in this case hitting the concerned pad doesn't make the SPD produce a sound (reading a sample), its original purpose. Why???? if you don't want sound, don't affect a wave!!
Also the midi out doesn't transmit midi clock! It has a metronome and you can sync internal effects. Why?????
Anyway, thanks a lot for your answer!
When you'll add momentary, toggle option to magic and Roland will correct their dumbs, i'll could make a las Vegas show.
From you i think it's not so far, but from Roland.....
Friendly from france,
pat
zikapapa

Post by zikapapa »

hello,
i have partly solve my problem (in making some compromises)
To solve completely the thing, Magic should have this: 1- the alternate option : hitting one time a pad (pressing a key, pushing a button...) makes the modifier
active, a second hit makes it bypass.
2- The gate capability: hitting one time makes it active for a given time and bypass at the end of it.
The SPD can do that but as i said before, he doesn't produce the wave affected to the pad, you have to make the choice, controlling or sounding and so music and visuals are not sync. I can't understand this. Thanks Roland.
I've found that the same note can drive a group of bypasses and also works in different scenes. Sooooo good!
Thanks again
Friendly,
pat
zikapapa

Post by zikapapa »

Hi everybody,
thought i was saved when i found midipipe from subtlesoft but it doesn't work fully on my mac mini 10.8. (work as a patch bay but doesn't do what he purpose elsewhere. Specially for me, adding time between note on and off so called duration)
It seems anyway a very nice software for midi modifier.
Does somebody know another soft to do that?
Friendly,
pat
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

To solve completely the thing, Magic should have this: 1- the alternate option : hitting one time a pad (pressing a key, pushing a button...) makes the modifier
active, a second hit makes it bypass.
2- The gate capability: hitting one time makes it active for a given time and bypass at the end of it.
Ok thanks, I will keep those things in mind.
It seems anyway a very nice software for midi modifier.
Does somebody know another soft to do that?
This is what I use for MIDI routing on Mac: http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/, but I'm not sure if it can do exactly what you need.
zikapapa

Post by zikapapa »

thanks Eric,
yes those features would be quite ok for percussionists using drum pads (and their hands busy) imagine a visual effects having exactly the same duration of a sound sample. I think also it could be nice for others.
I try the midi soft.
FFF
pat
zikapapa

Post by zikapapa »

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10541/midipipe
Try it, free, powerful, and the code somewhere in open source
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Sorry to pull this thread again but...

It would be good IMHO if when the UI bypass button is toggled it on it will invert the action of the midi CC.

With rotation for example, when the module UI bypass is off, the thing will rotate and stop when the assigned midi control is pressed. When the module UI bypass is on, the thing will stop rotating until the midi control is pressed.

This would effectively act as a latch with the midi key continuing to act as a momentary to invert it.

If the midi key isn't pressed or assigned then the bypass would work as expected, bypassing the current parameter/module.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yeah I'm planning on improving that :).
mysticalchemist

Post by mysticalchemist »

sorry if this is wrong place for question.
I trying to use magic as live visuals. tying midi buttons to power or bypass on glsl clips works (with trigger and wrap) but when I reopen the show the bypasses are reset.
Is there a better way to trigger modules? Think resolume style
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Are you saying that you want the power or bypass to be on by default? If so, you can add an Offset modifier with a value of 1 so that the "switch" starts in the opposite position.