Previous topicNext topic

Locking video to audiotrack

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
GruntyG

Locking video to audiotrack

Post by GruntyG »

Something like "Audio file control" for videos would be great. So when you jump to different times in the audio the preview jumps to the appropriate time in the video. Right now if I jump around in the audio, the video just keeps playing.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Locking video to audiotrack

Post by Magic »

Hmm, but how would it work if you had multiple scenes with different videos in each one? If you were using the playlist, the audio playback time wouldn't always correspond with the video playback time (assuming the video starts at the beginning when the scene is changed).
GruntyG

Post by GruntyG »

Hmm, thats right. I was thinking more of a situation where you only use one scene...
The problem I had was, that I wanted to sync two videos with the audio, so that all the ending match. But I couldn't fast forward through the video *and* audio, so I had to sit through the entire video to see if the ending matches. Tweak some parameters. And sit through the entire video again.
Thnks for the fast reply though :)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Someone suggested to me recently that each scene should be able to have its own independent audio files. So this might be a potential solution moving forward.
GruntyG

Post by GruntyG »

That would be great. So if you have multiple audiotracks, you could easily assign them to different scenes and locking a video to a audiotrack which is set to only one scene should be possible.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Hi,

I would like to make a suggestion: How about a media module that is just loading audio ( I will not think about tweaking the audio, a level control would be handy). The only input is a trigger from a videoloader (maybe a MIDI trigger too). So everytime the video is at its startingpoint it will trigger that specific audio-file to start.

So no messing up with lots of scenes and video moduls in the Audio window would occur.

Best
Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

One of the fundamental choices I made with Magic is that modules can only output visuals, not audio. All audio input/playback has to come from the Audio/MIDI window, which is completely separate from the modules.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Ok, at least it is good to know how Your architecture is planned.

I know that things can mess up very quickly if all of the options suggested are implemented. Of course there are more choices and possiblities. But things get messed up and You loose a fast and intuitive user interface.
It is Your decision to separate aound and video completely. But I am still looking for a trick to start a sound file in sync with a video. It has not to be synced then, just the start trigger would be a big benefit. Could You imagine to send a MIDI-signal somehow?

Reinhard
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Eventually I would like to allow the audio play/pause/rewind buttons to be controlled by MIDI. But it would only be for overall playback; you wouldn't be able to trigger separate audio files independently.

I suppose it might work if you had some other program that could play audio files in response to MIDI triggers. Perhaps something like this? http://www.duration.cc/. Or maybe Ableton Live? https://www.ableton.com/en/live/
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Yes, I thought about the latter one: Getting some MIDI-command and use it with Samplitude (in my case).

I use a RME Fireface as audio interface with Magic and could take a second one to have MIDI go into my laptop with Samplitude. That would be great for me: Have a start command out of Magic for the audio I choose in Samplitude and have all the means to work with the audio independently from Magic. I even could start 10-channel music....
I even would consider to trigger a SMPTE-track to allow more extern gear to sync.

Just in case You think about it: If we could assign individual MIDI-notes in each single VideoFile module, this would in fact allow adressing different audiofiles for different videos. Great.

Best
Reinhard