Previous topicNext topic

Video Loop Start/offset

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Sadler

Video Loop Start/offset

Post by Sadler »

A small suggestion for the video file related nodes.

In the VideoFile node, there is a start parameter from which the video starts and, when the video ends, will loop it back to that start value.

I can imagine several use cases for a similar parameter (called e.g. "offset") that initially starts from an offset but afterwards loops from start. It would be dangerous (perhaps) but interesting to iterate this parameter.

For instance a video with start, offset and end set to 2, 4, 8 resp. would initially start 4 seconds in (at the start or refresh/reset of the scene), continue to the end at 8 seconds then loop back to start at 2 seconds - continuing normally from then on. Having three video nodes with offsets of 0, 2 and 4 would all start and continue from different points but all still loop from start to end.

One can almost achieve this effect by delaying the powering on of the nodes or changing the speed temporarily but neither of these are precise enough for syncing parts of a loop.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Video Loop Start/offset

Post by Magic »

I guess that's possible but I'm not sure why it would be a visually desirable effect? Can you post an example?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

These are gross simplistic examples for very short loops.
ezgif-3-70b6b6371d89.gif
ezgif-3-70b6b6371d89.gif (217.46 KiB) Viewed 10728 times
ezgif-3-8e40b0ec905f.gif
ezgif-3-8e40b0ec905f.gif (327.43 KiB) Viewed 10728 times
But even for longer video, an offset to show different parts of the video e.g. offset dance moves, chases etc..
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Couldn't you achieve this by just varying the Start parameter?

For example, using some kind of Expression like: if time equals 0, set the Start param to 4; else set the Start param to 2
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Yes, that totally works, thanks Eric.

I tested several scenarios: chases, alternating loops, dance offsets and others.

For folks to set this up...

On the VideoFile start parameter add these modifiers:
  • Increase 1.0 (that's the scene timer)
    Expression: if ( x = 0, offset, 0) where offset is the delay you want.
The same setup in every case just with different offsets.