Previous topicNext topic

Automated project navigation?

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
dhjmusic

Automated project navigation?

Post by dhjmusic »

Hi - I'm trying to configure a fully hands-free live band set, and of course I understand that I can use the Playlist for moving through scenes of a given Project using midi. (It works great by the way). Several of our songs will each have multiple scenes, possibly with different input sources, so I was thinking about setting up a project-per-song type of configuration. But, I don't think this can be done while retaining the full hands-free control. Is that correct? Would automated Project navigation ever be considered for a new feature, or is there some alternative solution that may already exist (but that I haven't yet figured out). Thanks!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Automated project navigation?

Post by Magic »

Great question. Currently there isn't a way to configure Magic to load a project via MIDI. However, I'm pretty sure that a program like https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator will let you do it, meaning that you can map MIDI commands to starting and stopping any program on your system, etc.

Just keep in mind though, no matter what solution you come up with, or even if this feature is ultimately implemented inside Magic, there will always be a several second delay while a project loads. You'd have to be ok with a black screen for a bit.

For now, I think the only workaround I can come up with is to create one big project in Magic that spans multiple songs. You can use the Import Project command to combine projects. This would be the only way to solve the above issue anyways.
dhjmusic

Re: Automated project navigation?

Post by dhjmusic »

Hi Eric - thanks much for the prompt and very helpful reply. The "big" project holding multiple songs will work well for me I think. I'll let you know if I have any issues. Thanks for a terrific product.

David