Previous topicNext topic

Text Animation

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Sadler

Text Animation

Post by Sadler »

One can target and manipulate words, transformed through the iterator node, with "Magic\\Music\\Visuals" and do the same with individual lines, syllables and characters in a similar way. This is fine for a set of, say, 4 letter words in a monospaced font. However, you cannot satisfactorily transform text elements of different widths, since each transforms from the iterator#, bunching together wider characters, words etc. You also cannot target characters and word (for example) together at the same time since a text node will only respond to its closest iterator.

Here are a few possible avenues for further investigation though all are limited in some way:
  • Have an additional node that selects text elements and which respects the spacing of the text otherwise.
  • Add parameters to the text node which allow targeting of lines, words and characters independently.
  • Have a new Text Transform node that only transforms the selected element within a string - can be used in series for multiple transforms.
  • Allow the "Text" parameter to be a global (and visible to expressions) so that several text nodes can use the same string.
  • Include sub-element transforms in the text node itself.
The first suggestion would have a seperate text select for each transform one desires. I realise that this breaks several rules of the Magic doctrine such as sending non-image data across the wires, then automagically recombining the selections after the transform.
Text-Selector.png
Text-Selector.png (86.45 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
I'm sorry to say that all these ideas are less than half-baked but it is a tricky thing to fit into Magic's way of working. [rant] This restriction has been brought up in other contexts (point data etc) and while this can be seen as one of Magic's strengths (simplicity) it is also a limitation when compared to most other node based applications. [/rant]
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Text Animation

Post by Magic »

Why not just use separate Text modules, formatted the way you want, and all connected to an InputSelector, which has the input selected from the Iterator?
This restriction has been brought up in other contexts (point data etc) and while this can be seen as one of Magic's strengths (simplicity) it is also a limitation when compared to most other node based applications.
Magic was never intended to be a competitor to things like TouchDesigner, etc. If you want more precise control of individual vertices, use another app with Spout and/or NDI.

Touch Designer commercial license, $600 USD.
Most other similar apps, several hundred USD at least.
Magic commercial license, $45 USD.

;)
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Eric wrote:Why not just use separate Text modules, formatted the way you want, and all connected to an InputSelector, which has the input selected from the Iterator?
;)
If targeting characters this would mean an explosion in nodes. I've been working recently at the syllable level (lyrics to the melody) and the client is capricious. I have devised a way, with a specially formatted text file, to have lines grow across the screen (necessity is the mother of invention, as they say), however, it relies on Align Window Left and I can do little else to the text. I did try to do this using multiple text nodes (and even images) through an InputSelector and an Iterator but it was way too cumbersome to change - even a font change was cumbersome.

Perhaps Magic is the wrong tool, but I eschew more expensive software all the time for Magic - for creative and convenience reasons. Whether you intended it or not, Magic is a competitor to TD and Resolume (and they are now fighting back with Wire)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, I understand. Yes, individual characters would require an excessive number of modules for long phrases. I guess I will put a "Text Animation" module on the to-do list.
Perhaps Magic is the wrong tool, but I eschew more expensive software all the time for Magic - for creative and convenience reasons. Whether you intended it or not, Magic is a competitor to TD and Resolume
Yes, it's pretty complicated managing the positioning and the pricing of Magic. I'm glad it is viewed as a competitor to more expensive software. But I also think that the marketplace for TD/Resolume/etc. is pretty crowded.
(and they are now fighting back with Wire)
Looks like Magic with an orange theme instead of purple! ;) I can't say I invented the node-based interface though...