Previous topicNext topic

PNG module like JPEG module

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
jhinden

PNG module like JPEG module

Post by jhinden »

Would be great if there was a PNG module similar to the JPEG module. From what I understand the reason that there is no PNG module is because PNGs are less efficient. However, for non-realtime processing / export after using JPEG proxies it would be nice to have a 1:1 feature set.

Cheers
Magic
Site Admin

Re: PNG module like JPEG module

Post by Magic »

Yes, technically it is possible but we've avoided adding modules that can't operate well in real-time.
jhinden

Post by jhinden »

Thanks. I understand. It does however seem a bit like an artificial limitation if it's only a realtime performance issue and would work on export. Currently I have to make jpeg proxies from my pngs (lightweight) and make high res jpegs as well (for export), only to end up exporting from Magic back to png.

Is the factory jpeg module easily editable to accept png by chance using Xcode? I don't have it currently installed, but if so I might consider making a copy of the jpeg module that allows png input and swap to the original pngs only on export.

Thanks
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The source code is not available for you to edit. If you really want to use pngs then you can always use multiple Image modules connected to an InputSelector. Basically works the same way as the JpegFolder module although with more work.
jhinden

Post by jhinden »

Got it, thanks. The folder functionality is perfect for the workflow and input select definitely wouldn't improve much. I'm working with a ton of images across about 60 projects which all use the same workflow and rely on modulating the index and a non-specific number of images in each folder.

I'll just add a step to batch create high res jpegs to replace the jpeg proxies I'm using at export. The high res jpegs don't respond fast enough either in realtime so it just seemed like an unnecessary step if the png support existed to begin with as my original content is png. It may be a niche request, but when you have to convert a bunch of images twice to get the job done it adds time, complexity and disk space. In any case, I'll survive. ;) Thanks again.