Previous topicNext topic

Module Purely for Annotations

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
iglooooooo

Module Purely for Annotations

Post by iglooooooo »

It is SO helpful that MMV allows annotations linked to individual modules. To build on that, I often find myself wishing there was a module that was purely for annotations. Something that doesn't affect the Magic Window in any way, but is just there in the GUI for organizational purposes.

(I know you could just use any given module and not have it actually affect the Magic window, but a designated "Annotation" module would be cleaner).

Would be nice to
1) Just put floating notes for yourself/others in the GUI wherever you want. No inputs or outputs to the module.
2) Link the Annotation module in-stream with your flow. Maybe to give notes like "Everything before here is blah blah, but everything after this point is blah blah).
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Module Purely for Annotations

Post by Magic »

Yes, I have this on my to-do list already, thanks.
synthmusic

Post by synthmusic »

I wanted this same thing. While it's being developed, a couple ideas that helped me achieve this effect.

Use a simple module with no options like Antialias or Depth Test. You can then check Bypass and hide Power checkbox by unchecking Show Param For -> Power. You can't hide Bypass because the module becomes enabled. You are now left a single checkbox and your annotation.
You can further hide the bypass checkbox and use the bypass button at the top of the module - which results in just an annotation (and module name), but it does mute the colors a fair bit to show it is bypassed.
If it's not connected to things I don't think it uses resources at all(?) so you can hide Power and Bypass and leave enabled.

I finally just made my own ISF called "Annotation" with no options that just passes the input to the output, a sort of no operation module. While this looks pretty, and is not modifying the output, if it's in a chain, it is running shaders on the pixels/frame - so it will be using resources, albeit very little.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I think you are overlooking the menu option "Don't Minimize Annotations": https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... nnotations
If it's not connected to things I don't think it uses resources at all
That's mostly true, but...
I finally just made my own ISF called "Annotation" with no options that just passes the input to the output, a sort of no operation module. While this looks pretty, and is not modifying the output, if it's in a chain, it is running shaders on the pixels/frame - so it will be using resources, albeit very little.
If an ISF module is connected, it does create at least one image buffer even if the Bypass parameter is selected (which is different than if the Bypass button is on). The module which uses the least resources is the InputSelector, because it does nothing except route the chain.
synthmusic

Post by synthmusic »

If an ISF module is connected, it does create at least one image buffer even if the Bypass parameter is selected (which is different than if the Bypass button is on). The module which uses the least resources is the InputSelector, because it does nothing except route the chain.
good to know, thanks.