Previous topicNext topic

Speed Modifier

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Studio-dbfx

Speed Modifier

Post by Studio-dbfx »

Hi Eric,

Would it be possible to add a Speed Modifier in the modules? Like the one that's in the Starfield!
I've been looking and can't seem to find something to control the speed of this effect I am working on, unless I've overlooked a modifier that can do it.

I am using the ramp modifier for this effect. If I turn down the default settings of 1.0 to a lower value to slow it down, to me, visually it doesn't flow as nice, and the illusion I'm trying to achieve isn't there. I like the ramp modifier default value of 1.0, but would like to decrease the speed without tampering with the ramp modifier settings!

Here is a rough example of the scene I'm working on. - There's no sound BTW

Cheers!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Speed Modifier

Post by Magic »

I'm not really sure what you're referring to. What module is it? Can you provide a screenshot of your project?
Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

Hi Eric,

Sorry, if i got the name of what I was describing wrong. I assumed they were called 'modifiers' after looking in the help file to see what each one does.
I can reduce the ramp value down, but then the illusion that I was after is gone. By leaving the ramp value as it is, and having another modifier/module to control the speed would be useful, if it's possible.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

To control the speed of what though? I'm not sure I understand where you would want me to put this new Speed parameter.

If you want to make something move along then you're already doing it exactly the right way, which is to use a Ramp modifier in a Translate module. The only way to make it go faster or slower is to use a larger or smaller value in (or before) the Ramp modifier. There really isn't any other way to do it.
Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

Hi Eric,

I was hoping for a speed parameter after the ramp, so as to control the motion of the forward movement, like in the starfield. Using the ramp values to slow things down looks visually to me, too jerky and it loses that momentum of going forwarding. I did look at the peak value, if you're suggesting I reduce there I'll take another look to see how smooth it runs.
Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

Hi Eric,

Putting 'Scale' and another 'Peak' last in the chain of parameters seems to work! :D Altering anything else before that just messes up the 3D.object placement alignment.

I can take down the example Youtube video now, seeing it served it's purpose!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I don't think you're fully understanding how the Ramp works. I would suggest reading this tutorial carefully: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... ?f=3&t=274

The Ramp is affected not only by its parameter value but by its incoming value. Its parameter value contributes a constant amount, whereas its incoming value contributes a changing amount (usually). Both of these, added together, determine how the Ramp will operate.
Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

Hi Eric,

Yeah, my bad I'd forgotten how the ramp actually works! had to find a previous project where the object was scrolling smoothly. I had one object and about 7 translate modules off-setted slightly on the z axis, then one translate module connected to them for the ramp. working all fine now! :)