Previous topicNext topic

Pixel Sampler

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
artnik

Pixel Sampler

Post by artnik »

Has the ability to sample pixel values at a coordinate been suggested before?

Use case would be an array of objects that vary based on the values of the pixels beneath them, or at another specified point, allowing video content to be interpreted using objects, such as a grid of spheres, or a chunky heightfield made up of cubes scaled in Z.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Pixel Sampler

Post by Magic »

Nope, I think that's a reasonable idea.

Though as I think about it more, I'm not sure how it would fit in to the current framework to get linked values from video. Might not be simple. I'll ponder.
artnik

Post by artnik »

The Simplicity Paradox is a thing. When something appears simple, the back end infrastructure is always conversely complex. :-)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Correct! Making things simple for the user is often complex for the developer.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

I wrote very simple shader that would invert an image based on how bright it was at a specified pixel. This is very useful for keeping bright frames under control. Could the same technique be adapted, to sample an image and then apply that colour to the other input. Colour, of course, is the logical choice and would be relatively easy. Other attributes such as scale and position might be easy programmatically, but artistically how would one translate the sampled pixel to another attribute - colour might be a bit erratic for most attributes other than colour. If the video/image is a monochrome graduation then scaling a grid of object based on pixel value might make for a nice ripple effect.
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

a very interesting topic and discussion !