Previous topicNext topic

Multi display

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
damstraversaz

Multi display

Post by damstraversaz »

Hi,
I think I must post this here, but I'm not really sure, so fee free to move this topic ;)

I would like to use magic with multi display for a scenography with 2 projectors ( one in front, the second back on stage for retro projection). The main idea is not to use simultaneously both projectors but to have the possiblity to send magic's output to the first or the second screen.
all the output are in 1920X1200
Actually it's a little hard to use. When I'm using the toggle fullscreen fonction , here is how it works at least on my computer :

first toogle : laptop screen
second toogle : 2d screen
Third toogle : 3d screen
The issue comes when I want to make change after that :
fourth toogle : half screen on the first screen ( laptop), half screen on the 3d screen
fifth toogle : half screen on the 2d screen, half screen on the 3d screen
sixth toogle : 3d screen.

this seems to be good, as magic provide the option of spanning them in fullscreen mode. But there is no way to choose directly a screen. and If you want to go to the first or second display from the third display, you will show the half -display option to people on stage...not really great :lol:

so here is some suggestions :
1 could it be possible to have a menu for chosing manually a screen? ( like the option for "start in full screen") but maybe directly from the window menu (for easier workflow)
2 could it be possible to think about the option to assign a display to a specific scene ? ( should be very hard I know :D especially with post processing )

there is a workaround with spout and external software for dealing with multi display but it could be great to do this in magic without using another software for that .
blackdot

Re: Multi display

Post by blackdot »

you could span your output on both projectors and then prepare your scenes to only fill out the right half of that 3840*1200 output, or the left half, putting content on the first or second projector.
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

Yes, that 's seems to be the most efficient way to do this, thanks !
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

you could even insta-translate the content from one half to the other half using a midi controller, so you wouldnt need as many extra scenes.
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

exactly , I just test it yet and this solution gives a lot of creative processing, nice idea :)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

When I need to do two screens, I do it like this:
TwoScreens.PNG
TwoScreens.PNG (36.44 KiB) Viewed 14490 times
2560.PNG
2560.PNG (214.91 KiB) Viewed 14490 times
The nice thing about the Resolution module is that it actually works backwards, meaning that it renders its input at the specified resolution, rather than just changing the resolution. So this way you don't waste your precious fps's rendering at an unnecessary high resolution.

Also the Resolution module acts like a box, so for example, the Starfield won't "leak" onto the other side.
so here is some suggestions :
1 could it be possible to have a menu for chosing manually a screen? ( like the option for "start in full screen") but maybe directly from the window menu (for easier workflow)
2 could it be possible to think about the option to assign a display to a specific scene ? ( should be very hard I know :D especially with post processing )
I will definitely be adding some better fullscreen options in the future :).
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

thanks a lot for the answer, that's really useful and actually a nice and easy way to do this.
Some options for fullscreen could be nice and useful for me and maybe for some users , but I really like this modular way.
jenz

Post by jenz »

Woud it be doable/practical in future updates to be able to add magic modules for each projectors and assign those magic modules to specific output projectors?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, we plan to add that feature at some point.
jenz

Post by jenz »

Great! Thanx for the quick reply!