Previous topicNext topic

Align "waveform" module to zero crossing

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
LMan

Align "waveform" module to zero crossing

Post by LMan »

Hey there,

would be cool if it was possible to enable waveform alignment to the wave's zero crossing.

In the youtube example below you can see what I mean. The sawtooth waves in the top two lanes align to the left hand of the oscilloscope whenever the wave crosses the zero from minus to plus; giving a pretty neat effect (starting 1:18):

Compare with the same tune done in Magic, the sawtooth wanders freely and wildly, depending on its frequency (starting 1:20)

Would love if you'd consider it, those "oscilloscope" videos of chip music are quite popular.
Kind regards
Markus
Terry Payman

Re: Align "waveform" module to zero crossing

Post by Terry Payman »

+1 for this, it would be great with bass and synthesiser lines too. Much more revealing of the structure and frequency dynamics.

LMan, firstly I really like your logo and music, but I'm puzzled by your reference to the left-hand of the oscilloscope. The triggering is on the rising zero-crossing in the centre of the screen, clearly evident on the bottom waveform and in the way in which the sawtooths/triangles/squares "expand and contract" around the centre as their frequency changes.

FYI, there are existing requests to feed the Waveform module from filtered audio. This would be awesome when combined with triggering.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1103&hilit=+filter#p5010

An option for left/centre/right triggering would be useful, but the illustrated centre triggering would be my strong preference because of the symmetry during frequency changes. When the waveform is mapped around a circle, top-centre would be my favourite choice for trigger point.
LMan

Post by LMan »

Thanks Terry :)

Yeah, guess you're right about the center alignment.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok. It's not as simple as you might think, but I will keep it in mind.
LMan

Post by LMan »

Thanks, you rock <3