Previous topicNext topic

suggestion: automatic usage statistics and error reports

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
blackdot

suggestion: automatic usage statistics and error reports

Post by blackdot »

"Want to help [company name] improve this software? Activate anonymous usage statistics".

I assume most of us have read sth similar like this at least once. Would something like this also be helpful for you Eric?
You could get info like os, hardware, which nodes or modifiers are used the most, where the most mouseclicks are used, how long the average performance takes, etc. Also automatic crash/error reports.

No idea if these info would even be useful, it just came to my mind when i saw you asking for an os in another thread.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: suggestion: automatic usage statistics and error reports

Post by Magic »

Hmm, it's a good idea, but I wouldn't want the gathering of statistics to interfere with the performance of the app. Tracking things would probably make it a bit slower. I always try to emphasize performance above all else.

Also I'm not a huge fan of the idea of tracking things in general... just a little too invasive for my taste.

Why would I need crash reports? Magic never crashes :).

You're right though, it would probably be useful for some basic things. But I'd need to make sure it's "opt-in" rather than "opt-out" as you suggested.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Was just a thought crossing my mind. (If it can help firefox improve its ui, maybe this would have some benefits for magic as well) i have no idea if the return would marit the effort though.

Also magic runs very stable indeed. But in case of that very rare crash (maybe in betas?) Yould have reports flowing in quickly.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

That's interesting, thanks. Perhaps it could be a Beta-only feature.