Previous topicNext topic

Playlist advance in BPM

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
soulexpander

Playlist advance in BPM

Post by soulexpander »

Hi.

I don't know if this has already been suggested, but it would be awesome to have the playlist being able to advance by beats and bars as an alternative to timecode. So you could just enter a BPM, and set a scene for 2 bars, and iot would change after 2 bars. It would also be a goiod thing to have an offset function for it. Example: I've exported a beat, and want to have a visual for it. I always insert half a beat of silence in the beginning of the track to make sure playback catches the beginning in any given platform. So I would then be able to set, say 1/8 or 1/4 beat offset, to sync everything up properly.

Loving the app so far, looking forward to delve further into it.

Peace,
Chris
hazardman

Re: Playlist advance in BPM

Post by hazardman »

hey chris, this feature would of course be dependent that the music file has no tempo changes...

i have a few track that i produced that has some tempo changes so setting an overall fixed bmp would not work in those cases...also i think there may be issues with using midi files with embed bpm that is not constant as well...however, that's not so say this could be implements but until then, you can still synchronize to beats but with manual calculations...

so, as far a synchronizing scene changes to beats go, what i've done was to simply convert bmp to seconds...at 120 bmp at 4/4, 2 bars would be 4 seconds...so, you can select all the scenes in the playlist and type in a value of 4 and they will all change to be 4 seconds long (as long as you are not in the "show start time " mode)...

with regards to your offset, you can enter negative time values to your midi file and/or audio file input assets to add "blank" space in front of them...so for 1/8 note at 90 bpm that would be...90/60=1.5 bps...1 beat (1/4 notes) = 0.66667 seconds...1/8 note = 0.33333 seconds...so, -00:00.3333....
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Playlist advance in BPM

Post by Magic »

Based on user demand, I do have plans to allow a global BPM to be set, and certain things could sync to it. But as hazardman noted, then you have the new problem of having to change the BPM if the song changes internally or if a live set of songs are all at different BPMs.

An alternative (and perhaps better) solution is to use MIDI to change your scenes.