Previous topicNext topic

REALLY need a preview or second window

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
00fractal

REALLY need a preview or second window

Post by 00fractal »

hey there, so i am loving your software :) vjd with it just reascently at an event in japan... went great and was alot of fun... any hoow, am i miissing something ? is there a way to get another window to see whats going on ? would be really helpful to have a preveiw of the out put that i can keep on my main laptop or even send to another monitor....would be great to have a video monitor module to see whats coming thru from different modules ect.
also how soon will you have the midi learn functionality.... really need this....PLEASEEEEEEE...........
thanks and keep up the awesome work :)
Magic
Site Admin

Re: REALLY need a preview or second window

Post by Magic »

I know those features are important and they are definitely on our list. See http://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vie ... hp?f=4&t=6 and http://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vie ... p?f=4&t=75.

I'm pretty sure we'll be able to work on them soon.

Eric
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Here's a naive thought that might just provide or inspire an intermediate workaround. (I find software specification is so much easier when done in complete ignorance and without troubling to consider the entire system, anybody else's requirements or platforms other than one's own ;) )...

- There's already the facility to load and simultaneously render two different scenes, used for timeline crossfade.
- There's already a separate Spout output with independent resolution. Suppose it had an option of an independent source too - the preview scene.
- The Spout output could drive a preview window external to Magic (perhaps a display of a virtual webcam?). Nothing tricky needed for that bit.
- Alternatively, the "main" display could be the preview leaving Spout to feed downstream processes.
- Perhaps use similar scheme to Resolume Avenue for selecting the scene to be previewed: Click on the playlist scene number for (instant) transition. Click on the playlist scene name for a preview.

Ok, one might have to sacrifice fancy transitions between scenes, but for live performance I'd rather have an instant cut which can be exactly on the beat.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

- The Spout output could drive a preview window external to Magic (perhaps a display of a virtual webcam?). Nothing tricky needed for that bit.
Actually, if you're sending Magic's output to Spout or Syphon, you've pretty much solved the issue already, because the Spout or Syphon output is your main output, and the Magic window is your preview window.

For users that aren't already sending output to Spout or Syphon, the only thing that would be necessary is an app that can receive the output in a fullscreen window. Luckily, the Spout Demo Receiver has this functionality already, although it only works on the main display. So it's almost a perfect solution for Windows. As for Syphon, it would be great if their Simple Client could run in fullscreen mode. Maybe I'll ask them about it.