Previous topicNext topic

Different licensing model?

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Escherx

Different licensing model?

Post by Escherx »

Has there been much discussion about a different licensing model? I have three computers:

* Macbook for most stuff
* Windows PC with big gpu (good for rendering)
* Thinkpad with external gpu (might use to play live)

And having to buy three licenses for all those computers when I'm only using one at a time is kind of crazy.

Have any other more flexible / less intrusive licensing models been discussed? Ableton is pretty cool about having multiple installs for one person, is that a possibility?

:geek:

ps: Magic is great.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Different licensing model?

Post by Magic »

I appreciate your comments. We've thought a lot about this, and we've discussed it directly with many users, and our current model seems to work the best for the most people.

I can't really get into too much depth here about our business strategy, but you should keep in mind that your situation is unique -- most people only have one computer, or only need to run Magic on one computer. If we allowed multiple installs per user, we'd have to raise the price, and that would be a much higher barrier to entry for the average customer. We want Magic to be a creative tool that almost anyone can afford.

It's nice of you to think of Magic and Ableton as comparable, but remember that Ableton costs much more than Magic -- Ableton's "medium-priced" version is almost 6 times more expensive than Magic's high-end version! And Ableton's "high-end" version is almost 10 times more expensive than Magic. When you are charging many many hundreds of dollars, it's a lot easier to offer multiple installs.

Of course, if you want to give us more money, we'd be happy to offer you more licenses ;). In some sense, our current licensing model does ask advanced/professional users to pay more; but if you look around, you will see that a lot of software works this way. Further, most of our pro users tell us that Magic is still a good value for them, even when purchasing multiple licenses.

If there's some program out there that you think has comparable features to Magic, allows for unrestricted commercial use, and is approximately the same price, but allows multiple installs, please let me know and I'll take a look.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Hi,
are You aware that You can always disable Your license on one machine and then enable it on another? It is a matter of a few clicks and seconds, a breeze to change machines. And I understand that You are only working on one machine at a time, right? So You should be fine.

And I must second Erics thoughts: It is better to have a software which is affordable for everyone. As he said: Even three licenses are cheaper than one of Resolume...

Best
Reinhard
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

Reigel wrote:...are You aware that You can always disable Your license on one machine and then enable it on another? ... So You should be fine.
I don't think so. From the User's Guide (my bold):

"Magic can be deactivated at any time by selecting Help > Deactivate in the main menu. This allows the activation to be transferred, such as when a new computer is purchased. Up to 4 deactivations per year are allowed.

Deactivation is not intended for repeatedly transferring an activation back and forth between two computers. In this case, an additional activation must be purchased"

Personally, I'm happy to purchase multiple licenses - it helps fund the development of Magic and Eric's excellent support.
Reigel

Post by Reigel »

Ok, so this is new. Not long ago I was able to activate and deactivate at will.
But the final conclusion is: Magic is that cheap so it should not be a problem to have two licenses or more.

Best
Reinhard
Carbinax

Post by Carbinax »

please please never switch to a subscription model. The thought of renting a piece of software and never owning it even though you put your money into a black hole forever, horrifies me.
I toyed with the idea of buying adobe after effects but when I was told I could only subcribe ( ie, rent forver and never own ) to adobecloud, I bought Magic instead. I see this model happening with audio plugins, and even on playstation, and the thought of perpetually paying for something and never being able to say "I bought this. Its mine"is something I won't enter into.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Don't worry, we don't have any plans for that.
Carbinax

Post by Carbinax »

super happy to hear that Eric =)