Previous topicNext topic

Preview Functionality

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
DemBambiSeiMudder

Preview Functionality

Post by DemBambiSeiMudder »

Hey,

I noticed the need for this on my last live performance.
  • like the the "edit and display" arrow on scenes in the folder view it would be awesome to have a "preview and edit" button as well. Maybe a little eye. Could also be a shortcut like cmd-click to edit, but an extra button would be easier to use #usability :)
  • both buttons above would be awesome to be mappable to midi commands
  • in the folder view the currently edited scene has a white border, right? Previewed scene sometimes has blush font color, right? Would be nice to have a color, symbol, border, whatever to identify the scene, that is live.
This would make life on a live performance much nicer :-)
What do you think?
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Preview Functionality

Post by Magic »

I recommend you enable Preview Mode for previewing during a live performance: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... reviewMode. It changes the arrow's function to "Preview and Edit".

Then I recommend you use the Playlist for selecting your live scene, because it's color-coded and MIDI-mappable.
DemBambiSeiMudder

Ok, I didn't know about preview mode. Good stuff :-)
But then I can't play the scene live from the folder view anymore, right?

I'll definitely give preview mode a try, but here are my first thoughts.
I try to explain my workflow. Please let me know what you think to this in general.
  • When using the playlist I want a preview button there and midi for that. I usually try to preview the scenes before deciding to play it on the next drop. If I need to preview on the folder list and select to play on the playlist it get's confusing, because they might be in a different order and previewed scenes might not (yet) be in the playlist.
  • I use the folders to order the scenes kind of by version. I have a folder "experiments" with new scenes I actively create while playing live or that need optimization. I have a folder "optimized" that has scenes that are ready to go. Then I usually use the playlist for when I leave the computer to play "harmless" scenes automatically. So that very bright very flashy scenes are only played when I enable them manually and not automatically while I'm away.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok that makes sense. Having a separate MIDI-assignable option for previewing a Playlist scene might be reasonably simple to implement.
DemBambiSeiMudder

Would be nice if you could work something out.

What do you think about multiple playlists? In my case it could be one for manual triggering and one for automatic progress.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, we have that feature on our to-do list.
DemBambiSeiMudder

Another thing I just realized.
I want to use hot cues to switch to scenes immediately, for example on the drop of the music.
If transition style is set in the playlist in might fade in for two seconds.
I'd like to keep transition settings for playlist mode, but for manual scene selection I don't want that :-)