Previous topicNext topic

map source audio gain to midi knob

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Funko

map source audio gain to midi knob

Post by Funko »

If this is doable now and Im missing it please tell me :) I searched the guide and the forums but didn't find anything.
Thanks for making the program, its a blast.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: map source audio gain to midi knob

Post by Magic »

Not yet :). But you can always map a Global to MIDI, and then use that Global in many different places.
Funko

Post by Funko »

Thanks for the reply. I've followed your instructions and can map to a global. Do you have any recommendations for a modifier group to best mimic the volume knob? My attempts are failing. Thanks much.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by "mimic the volume knob." What is it exactly that you're trying to do? Why did you need to map the gain to MIDI in the first place? Maybe a screenshot would help explain?
Funko

Post by Funko »

Basically looking for a sensitivity adjustment knob. If the audio is too hot or too quiet, it would be nice to have a quick rotary to grab.

"The volume knob" I ment was on my audio source out. Magic's visuals scale nicely when I bring the volume up and down. I would like to mimic this without actually adjusting volume levels.

Hope that makes sense. :) thanks again.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

You can add a Global that has Volume as its source. Then add a Scale modifier, and link it to your MIDI device: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... difierMIDI

Then you can use the Global in other places.
DemBambiSeiMudder

Post by DemBambiSeiMudder »

I usually do it like Eric describes it.
But for the Spectrum, Waveform etc. modules you can only select sources, not globals.
So either Midi for the Gain or allowing globals as "sources" on those kind of modules would be awesome.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

You could still have a Scale module after a Waveform/Spectrum/etc., and have it scale vertically by the Global.
Funko

Post by Funko »

Thanks for the replies! I was pretty much there but this:

"To make parameter linking more convenient, every audio feature is scaled to the range 0 to 1."

was messing with me as I could never scale more than 1* volume :) Adding a static scale over 1 before the mapped scale seems to work alright.

I appreciate the help, thanks again!