Previous topicNext topic

DMX output

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
mlburgoon

DMX output

Post by mlburgoon »

I searched the forum and could not find this. Found some references and suggestions, but they don't meet my needs. I am in a small local band. We use magic to control 3 video screens. But we also have lights beyond that. 2 moving head pin spots, 3 chauvet custom lights with lasers (don't remember the model), and a few par can lights. about 12 lights total.

It would be great to be able to do some control of the lights from Magic. We are a small local band and money is tight to spend on stuff. Our video screens we use were all donated. I purchased Magic and it s great for the screens.

I know other solutions have been to use spout to send stuff to resolume or other software, but that is just not feasible for us due to cost.

I know that if DMX output was added to Magic, small live bands like ours would be more interested in your product. It already has the ability to take in midi input, and it would be real simple to take that input and convert it to DMX output. I am currently doing something similar with and Arduino. I created a module to take in MIDI input and output DMX to our lights. but it is not as flexible as what I could do in magic.

My thoughts are to be able to send initial DMX commands when a Magic Scene is selected to set the lights to the DMX mode they need to be in for that scene, then just be able to convert Midi input to DMX output. Also be able to use Tone, Pitch, Volume, etc... from live input to send DMX output.

Please consider. We have had other bands in our area inquire about our software we are using. As I keep learning more about magic, and I keep improving our visuals, I keep generating more and more interest. Adding this feature would be GREAT for us and many other bands.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: DMX output

Post by Magic »

Sure, I'm happy to consider that, although things are never "real simple" like they might seem ;). Right now Magic only outputs video, so to make it output something additional would require a lot of new functionality, especially in the UI. It would be a big new feature. One of the things that keeps Magic efficient and affordable is that it focuses very specifically on creating video from audio and MIDI, and nothing else.

So I can't make any promises, but I'll do a little bit of investigating.
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

I also use Magic with my band. The first question my bandmates and tech asked is: Does it allow to control lights too? ;)
This will bring Magic in another area, but could affect the workflow and efficiency of MMV. Maybe a separate software working in tandem, or a add-on, sharing the same midi clock.

By the way, happy new year to all MMV users and MMV team!
mlburgoon

Post by mlburgoon »

Thanks for looking into it. The nice thing is DMX out is much simpler than MIDI. It is just Channel (up to 512), and setting (up to 255).

I hope you decide to do it. Sounds like someone else is already interested as well. It would be really cool to be able to sync Strobes flashes with screen flashes through MMV!!! (among other things)

Thanks Again!
DemBambiSeiMudder

Post by DemBambiSeiMudder »

I use MadMapper to send MMV videos via DMX to my LED stripes.
Next week I'll try integrating some moving heads into my setup.
I'll post some feedback.
Maybe it's an option for you as well to use some other DMX able software like MadMapper :-)
aaron8153

Post by aaron8153 »

My solution to this is to use a DAW, like Ableton, to sync effects via midi. Using a program like http://lightkeyapp.com/en/, you can capture the midi input and do whatever you need while also doing the same in Magic. I set up a midi controller to launch midi scenes in Ableton and then I map the knobs and buttons to specific things inside both programs.