Previous topicNext topic

[solved] Tabs don't work properly on Mac

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
DemBambiSeiMudder

[solved] Tabs don't work properly on Mac

Post by DemBambiSeiMudder »

Hey Party People,
I'm using Magic 2.1 on macOS 10.12.6 and Magic behaves a bit strange when opened.
Currently I don't have a Screen Capture App installed, if the description won't help to reproduce it I'll try to make a Video.

So when I launch Magic the Input Sources window is tabbed into the main window, but the tabs don't show up at first.
Once I click on the tab bar I can see the tabs.
Then I drag the Input Source tab to detach it from the main window.
But the Input Source window is maximized, so I need no drag the window to decrease it's size (usually to the smallest size possible).
I have to do this every time I start Magic which is quite annoying.
Mainly I have to do this because the tabs don't work at all. I can't switch to the tab with my visuals. Switching tabs is only possible between Playlist and Input Sources window.

The same thing happens when I open the playlist window. Or if it is opened on Magic's start.

So first of all I think (if the tabs are intended to be there at all), there is a bug in the tabbing system :-)
Second I would like it if Magic saved the window settings (size, position) on closing and restore them on opening.

I hope you can reproduce it and this helps to improve Magic.

Hugs
DemBambiSeiMudder
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Tabs don't work properly on Mac

Post by Magic »

Magic is really not intended to be used with the system tabs feature. I suggest configuring your tab settings in System Preferences > Dock. For the item called "Prefer tabs when opening documents", select either "In Full Screen Only" or "Manually". Do not select "Always".

Then if you need to, you can reset Magic's default window layout with the menu option Window > Window Layout > Reset Window Positions. The window positions will be saved unless you deselect Window > Window Layout > Save Window Positions.
DemBambiSeiMudder

Hey,
Just to get this right: are you telling me to disable a feature system wide that I want to use with all other Apps that support it?
Because that is not an option, Magic is not the only Program I run on this computer.
Or is it possible to set that for Magic only?
If it is not intended to be used with the system tabs feature why does it exist then? Can't you disable that in code?
Thx for you help.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, I thought you were saying that you didn't know why the tabs were there in the first place. It's always hard for me to know the skill level of any particular user based just on one question :). Keep in mind that there is no "disable" option for the tabs, and I am certainly not asking you to disable anything. There are only the three options I mentioned above, and "Manually" would probably be the most appropriate for you, because it lets you choose on a per-app basis.
If it is not intended to be used with the system tabs feature why does it exist then? Can't you disable that in code?
The default setting for system tabs is "In Full Screen Only", and most people don't change it (at least, no other Magic user has ever complained ;)). It is certainly possible that the tabs can be completely disabled in code, and I will have a look! But please understand that there are lots of things you could do to your OS settings that would make Magic difficult to use, for example (off the top of my head) setting your desktop resolution very low. But it would be impossible for me to prevent this.
DemBambiSeiMudder

I'm very sure that I have not changed this default setting. This Mac is new and freshly installed.
And for the finder for example it does make sense to open new windows in tabs also when not in fullscreen mode.

Anyway, let's not fight about this :-)

Thx for you help. I'll think about changing the settings for now.
It is only annoying on first opening magic, so I guess I can live with it as well.

But if you find a way to disable tabs in code, it would be awesome if you do so, since they are not meant to be used anyway.

Cheers
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

No worries :). It took me a while but I figured out a way to prevent the tabs. You can download the latest 2.11 Beta to test it: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/getbeta
DemBambiSeiMudder

Sweet, it's working. Thanks :-)