Previous topicNext topic

Delay feature for audio files

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
BenLiebrand

Delay feature for audio files

Post by BenLiebrand »

You already have a level setting for the audio files.
I would also like to have a delay setting.

Here's why

I would like to choose one audio file as the source for all generated video effects
and another that is used as the main audio file that is rendered with the video.

This to eliminate audio and video being out of sync (by generally 1 frame) in the rendered file. Another additional option would be to crop that first usually empty black frame.

I know you aim to have everything in sync, but reality is that that is not always the case.

Loving your software,
Ben Liebrand
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Delay feature for audio files

Post by Magic »

Hi Ben, thanks. What you request is already possible. You can import two audio files, and mute one of them. Even when an audio file is muted, it will still drive the effects. https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... l#Playback
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

BenLiebrand wrote: I would like to choose one audio file as the source for all generated video effects
and another that is used as the main audio file that is rendered with the video.
Eric wrote:Hi Ben, thanks. What you request is already possible. You can import two audio files, and mute one of them. Even when an audio file is muted, it will still drive the effects. https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... l#Playback
To clarify, you also need to set the start time to be a small negative value on the muted file that's the source for the video effects. "Start Time" is available in the file's options menu, accessed by right-clicking its selection tab to the right of the solo button.

From the manual:
"The Start time option can be used to change when playback of the file will begin. A positive start time will cause playback to begin later; for example, 00:02.0 will result in two seconds of silence before the file. A negative start time will cause playback to begin earlier; for example, -00:02.0 will result in the first two seconds of the file being cut off."

I have found values around -00:00.1 to be a useful starting point (-100ms), but different effects will have different delays so you may want to have several options simultaneously available. For this you must make differently named (but otherwise identical) copies of the file, import them all in turn, mute them all and put different (negative) start times on each. Magic will (currently) not allow the same file to be imported twice, hence the need to make differently named copies.

I've also found it useful to have several different files driving the effects, with different audio filtering on each so I can use them to feed waveforms. Alternatively, you may be able to get different stems (tracks) from the original multi-track mix ( eg a separate audio file for each musician - say drums, bass, guitar, vocals)

Finally, I have found it useful to have edited versions of some tracks which only have audio for moments when I want an effect to occur.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ah yes, sorry. I misunderstood. I should have mentioned the Start Time option.
BenLiebrand

Post by BenLiebrand »

Almost there!

Unfortunately I can not load the same audio file twice.
One for driving the visual effects
One for the actual sound in the rendered video with time compensation

For now I am making duplicate audio files, renaming the copy with "delay" in the file name.
However, having the option to set a time delay for rendered audio would even be more convenient. It could be a setting in the "Export Movie" Dialog and could be in milliseconds or frames.

For now this work-around will do the trick
Thank You!

An older example (with 1 frame delay) can be seen here:

All new renders will have the compensation.