Previous topicNext topic

preset manager for each scene

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
damstraversaz

preset manager for each scene

Post by damstraversaz »

Hi,
here is a little idea.
I'm using a lot a modular audio software and one feature of this one could be very useful in my opinion for Magic.
It's about preset manager. Sometimes it could be great to have presets for each scene for changing setting of all your modules. That's really interesting for changing value, modifier's value, without having 20 knobs to tweaks .That's possible with an external midi file but I find the 127 step resolution very limiting as small changes in Magic can do big change in visual !
you can always use the playlist but the result is not the same as there is no evolution, it works better as a glue between different visuals in my opinion. But the idea is the same : changing a lot of things with just a clic or just one midi controller.

Here is a link for a presentation of the preset manager of usine. you can set a morphing time "time" from a preset to another. That's really easy to use : 1/ choose your settings, 2/ clic on S and after that the number you choose... that's done.
I really think it can give a lot of possibilities to magic.

http://www.sensomusic.org/wiki3/doku.ph ... et_manager

thanks a lot for reading my very poor english !
Terry Payman

Re: preset manager for each scene

Post by Terry Payman »

+1
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

It's a good idea, although I think you could do it at least partially by using globals. Create one global that is your main "switch", and then derive all the other values (and perhaps some other globals) from that global. Know what I mean?
damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz »

you're right Eric, that's actually how I'm doing it, globals are really powerful. It works most of time but could be very complex to set up sometimes. The main advantage I see for a preset system is the "snapshot" fonction. In pratique that's really easy to set up, useful for a "natural" workflow and the simplicity of the project
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Scene presets would certainly reduce the need for many InputSelectors in some of my scenes and it would be great to see parameter blending included though I can imagine that would be challenging to get smooth results in many situations. There have been previous requests for the option to have global parameters local to a scene which would complement this feature request.