Previous topicNext topic

ISF Bump Distortion Z parameter and Playlist entries

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Studio-dbfx

ISF Bump Distortion Z parameter and Playlist entries

Post by Studio-dbfx »

Hi Eric, I am testing out the beta version 2.01 and have no issues, all good, excellent!. My favourite ISF generator is the Bump Distortion! Would it be possible to have a Z parameter included?

Also is it possible to delete entries in the playlist, not the main playlist. I took a screenshot, but can't seem to attach it to this message. It’s the entries that are no longer associated with the project. The entries float above the main playlist and have their own box. I’ve been going through my GLSL Shaders and deleting ones which are cpu heavy.

Trevor
Magic
Site Admin

Re: ISF Bump Distortion Z parameter and Playlist entries

Post by Magic »

Hi Eric, I am testing out the beta version 2.01 and have no issues, all good, excellent!. My favourite ISF generator is the Bump Distortion! Would it be possible to have a Z parameter included?
All the ISF modules are generously provided by Vidvox, and as a condition of distributing them in Magic, I can't modify them unfortunately :(.
Also is it possible to delete entries in the playlist, not the main playlist. I took a screenshot, but can't seem to attach it to this message. It’s the entries that are no longer associated with the project. The entries float above the main playlist and have their own box. I’ve been going through my GLSL Shaders and deleting ones which are cpu heavy.
Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. A screenshot would definitely help ;). If you reply to this post, you can click on the "Upload attachment" link, choose the file, and then click on "Add the file".
Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

Hi Eric :),

Thanks for repyling back to me! :) I see, you can't modify the ISF modules by Vidvox in MAGIC. :( There is a work around, but it just means using up cpu by adding another 3D model or shader! A Z parameter would mean I could move the bump anywhere on one module!

Ah! I just noticed the upload attachment, plus the notify button Lol. My first forum post! haha. I have been making templates for future tracks and testing what MAGIC can do. The new ISF modules are great and giving me tons of more options.

I've deleted some GLSL shaders and when I went to open a 'project template' MAGIC said it couldn't open 'pattern1' for example, even though I'm not using it.
I just want to 'delete', 'clean up' unused modules.

Thanks

Trevor :)
Playlist Entires.jpg
Playlist Entires.jpg (392.17 KiB) Viewed 15377 times
Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

The following file could not be loaded.jpg
The following file could not be loaded.jpg (356.54 KiB) Viewed 15375 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I think the issue is that you aren't actually removing your scenes. Clicking a tab's "x" button only hides the scene from view; it doesn't remove it. To remove it, you have to select the "Remove Scene" option from the tab menu: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... ml#TabMenu

To show the full list of scenes in your project, whether or not their tabs are visible, use the Folder View: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... FolderView

Let me know if it helps.
Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

Thanks Eric, the 'Folder View' window has solved the problem. I haven't used that properly yet, but will do now!
artnik

Post by artnik »

Just curious, what do you mean by a "Z" parameter? ISFs output 2D images, not 3D geometry. From what I can see, looking at the code, the CENTER parameters adjust in X and Y, while the LEVEL parameter creates the illusion of a bump in Z already.

How would you want it to be different?
Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

Hi artnik, I have been experimenting with the ISF modules. I would have to show you an example to what I mean by adding a Z parameter. At the minute I’m cleaning up my ‘project templates’, after Eric solved my problem. Most likely upload a sample to youtube with a simple beat or somebody else’s track to show why I requested a Z parameter.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Studio-dbfx wrote:Hi artnik, I have been experimenting with the ISF modules. I would have to show you an example to what I mean by adding a Z parameter. At the minute I’m cleaning up my ‘project templates’, after Eric solved my problem. Most likely upload a sample to youtube with a simple beat or somebody else’s track to show why I requested a Z parameter.
Cool. Look forward to seeing it!
Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

I've set this sample youtube video to private. let me know if you're having difficulty viewing it and I will change the settings to public. I won't have this up for long....

Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_mcGaWsRJc

Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

View in 720 HD
artnik

Post by artnik »

Link doesn't work. Private videos are... well... private. :-)
Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

ok will set it to public for a short time! surprised the link doesn't work after you logged into youtube
artnik

Post by artnik »

Studio-dbfx wrote:ok will set it to public for a short time! surprised the link doesn't work after you logged into youtube
There's three options for YouTube privacy settings: Public, Unlisted, and Private.

Unlisted will allow someone with the URL to be able to view it, while excluding it from searches and other listings on YouTube.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. Yeah, that ISF only fakes the illusion of Z.

There's very few ISFs that actually work in 3D, like I said, although there's actually the functionality in the specification to manipulate geometry, the vast majority of them are just 2D fragment shaders.

To get that kind of effect, the best option I've found is the Video Heightfield plugin (I forked a version Video Heightfield+ to add some features) , but it only works on brightness levels for the extrusion in Z. It may be possible to amend it to take one input for the extrusion, and another for the colour, so an animated greyscale image can be used for the bump shape.

Link: https://www.interactiveshaderformat.com/sketches/1041

Cheers!
artnik

Post by artnik »

And... DONE!

Turns out it was a trivial change. Now the first input is the heightfield, and the second is the colour. I present Video Heightfield++:

https://www.interactiveshaderformat.com/sketches/1748

P.S. Output is still 2D. But the X-Rotate and Y-Rotate parameters change the viewpoint.
Studio-dbfx

Post by Studio-dbfx »

Thanks for the link artnik! my laptop isn't that powerful and I could hear the fan and cpu overworking when I clicked on both links. glad you can see where I was coming from with the Z parameter request. It would have meant I could move the bump towards me and not just being at one end.

I do have other samples which involves 3D models which actually describes what you're saying, and I used version 2.0 of MAGIC to do that. will upload them at a later date, going to have to pull the sample video down from Youtube. They already flagged it as copyright protected. Have to get back to cleaning up my 'Project Templates'.....got a few lol
artnik

Post by artnik »

Well, perhaps someone else will find it useful. I know I will. :-)

Cheers!
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

I too will find your IFS++ useful - thank you Nik.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

artnik wrote:Well, perhaps someone else will find it useful...
I'll be using it for my next show. Many thanks Nik! :D