Previous topicNext topic

A repeater module would be awesome !!!!!

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
TanookiMonk

A repeater module would be awesome !!!!!

Post by TanookiMonk »

They say an image is worth thousands of words :
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (243.38 KiB) Viewed 13451 times
Right click on image and click "Show picture" for better view
Sadler

Re: A repeater module would be awesome !!!!!

Post by Sadler »

There is an exemplar in the FFGL world provided free from Hive8 - Horizontal Clone
cloner.png
cloner.png (90.72 KiB) Viewed 13439 times
There is also the Array effect already in MMV though this has only translation for its clones.

Another way to do this is to have cascading globals which use previous globals then add to them - you can build up some nice linked animation this way. I don't have time now but I'll try to do a demo later.

Instead of having a load of translations, rotations and scalings in a new module I think it would be nicer to have a module that collected transforms (and perhaps other things) back up the chain, then repeated those. This module would only have a '#Copies' parameter and perhaps a parameter to limit the distance back up the chain. So, for example, there would be (up to 3) transformations for the initial position and another set of transforms for the first clone.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Since it isn't possible (yet!) to apply globals as modifier parameters I've set the global position offsets to the same midi control to make it easier to change in realtime.
cascading_transforms.magic
(3.25 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
cloner2.png
cloner2.png (180.51 KiB) Viewed 13433 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yup I've thought of something like this. I think a Repeater module would work actually. The only problem would be the order of operations (do you scale and then translate, or translate and then scale?), but I think I could solve it by having a drop-down box that lets you choose the order.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Eric wrote:Yup I've thought of something like this. I think a Repeater module would work actually. The only problem would be the order of operations (do you scale and then translate, or translate and then scale?), but I think I could solve it by having a drop-down box that lets you choose the order.
Instead of a drop-down, what about using 9 inputs ordered: ROTATE XYZ > TRANSLATE XYZ > ROTATE XYZ.

Having two sets of rotations gives you more creative freedom, including the option to specify order by having one set of rotation values at 0.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

What about Scale though? When you have all three types of transformations, there needs to be a way to select the order.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Eric wrote:What about Scale though? When you have all three types of transformations, there needs to be a way to select the order.
Riiight. My bad.

Out of curiosity, would the drop down visually reorder the inputs in the list, or just how they are interpreted?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

A "module that collected transforms back up the chain" could preserve transform order.
Actually, the offsets are unnecessary
Actually, the offsets are unnecessary
Repeat_Transform.jpg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 13389 times
artnik

Post by artnik »

Sadler wrote:A "module that collected transforms back up the chain" could preserve transform order.
Clever idea.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Out of curiosity, would the drop down visually reorder the inputs in the list, or just how they are interpreted?
Just how they are interpreted :).
A "module that collected transforms back up the chain" could preserve transform order.
The difficulty in this case would be not just to repeat the transforms but to increment their parameters.
TanookiMonk

Post by TanookiMonk »

Eric wrote:Yup I've thought of something like this. I think a Repeater module would work actually. The only problem would be the order of operations (do you scale and then translate, or translate and then scale?), but I think I could solve it by having a drop-down box that lets you choose the order.
I thought the same after posting it ! Very clever idea !
sachismo

Post by sachismo »

+1 for the repeater!
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

For midi controls it could be useful to have a note repeater too in the module. Say you start from not 36 and increment the note number by 1 (or more)
This way building an animated keyboard woud be a piece of cake.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yeah, I've been thinking about how to make it easier to do that kind of thing. It's a bit tricky, but I'll see what I can come up with.
TanookiMonk

Post by TanookiMonk »

One thing is a selection box should be available for "Prevent object rotation" Or something like that. Sometimes picture equals 100 words :

Without option :
example 1.png
example 1.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 13011 times
With Option :
example 2.png
example 2.png (6.27 KiB) Viewed 13011 times