Previous topicNext topic

Integrated Text Editor for Modifying ISF code

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
artnik

Integrated Text Editor for Modifying ISF code

Post by artnik »

Hey Eric,

I find that a lot of my time working with Magic involves editing ISF code. The workflow involves either jumping out to the web, or a shader app, saving the ISF file, and copying it back to my Modules folder then replacing the module in Magic's editor window. It's pretty inefficient.

I'd like to suggest a simple code editor within Magic to close the loop. Right-clicking on an ISF module would bring up the ISF code, where it could be edited and the changes update in realtime, similar to the ISF site.

Cheers!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Integrated Text Editor for Modifying ISF code

Post by Magic »

Thanks, I did have an idea to add a couple new menu options for ISF modules:
1) Edit -- would load the code into whatever app is associated with ".fs" files on your system
2) Reload -- would reload the code for the module, but keep the module params intact, and perhaps show any error messages

Maybe there's also a way to auto-detect changes to the file so it could be reloaded automatically.

To be honest, an integrated code editor would be a lot of extra work beyond that, and there are already a lot of good ones, so it would probably be further down the road.
artnik

Re: Integrated Text Editor for Modifying ISF code

Post by artnik »

I though it might be. But, those other options sound great, especially the RELOAD. That would tighten the loop.

Thanks Eric.