Previous topicNext topic

more features for inputselector

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
blackdot

more features for inputselector

Post by blackdot »

the inputselector doesnt seem to load/play inputs, that are not currently active. while that makes a lot of sense performance wise, it makes it also impossible to hook up two movie files that should run in sync, while the selector switches from one to another. this IS possible with the mix module, however in that one you can only plug 2 inputs into.

my feature request is either:
- allow for more inputs on the mix module (although that doesnt seem purposeful)
or
- allow optional "all-input-running" on the inputselector and also crossfade between inputs.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: more features for inputselector

Post by Magic »

Ok, interesting. Not sure if it's possible with the InputSelector module, but let me think about it. A new module might be needed.

One way you could get around it would be something like this:
InputSelector.jpg
InputSelector.jpg (40.62 KiB) Viewed 6121 times
The videos are always being drawn (as inputs to the ColorHSB module), so they won't lose sync. But they are completely transparent (Brightness and Alpha set to 0), so you won't see them. You probably wouldn't lose too many fps's this way.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

your example with two inputs is imho easier acomplished by just using the mix shader with a steps modifier. but yes, works for more than 3 inputs. however i'm supposed to use the color modules for actual opacity, as we adressed in the other thread :).

what i meant in my OP is kinda possible with plugging mulitple mix modules after each other, but it's kinda tedious to set up with modifiers so that they behave as expected.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Instead of using ColorHSB with Brightness/Alpha at 0, you could also use a Scale module with X or Y set to 0, or you could use a Translate module and translate more than 2 units in the Y direction (so that it's outside the window), etc. So it's not just ColorHSB that could make it invisible.

But in the long run I guess the thing to do is to allow the Mix module to have more than 2 inputs. Parameter values between 0 and 1 would be mixing the first two inputs, between 1 and 2 would be the second and third, and so on. In other words it would be a smooth fade between them as you go from one to the next.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

Eric wrote:But in the long run I guess the thing to do is to allow the Mix module to have more than 2 inputs. Parameter values between 0 and 1 would be mixing the first two inputs, between 1 and 2 would be the second and third, and so on. In other words it would be a smooth fade between them as you go from one to the next.
that would be awesome-o.
hazardman

Post by hazardman »

+1 for having the ability to crossfade between the input sources for the InputSelector...

i'm thinking of separate Crossfade and Hold parameters...Crossfade would control the crossfade time while the Hold would control the length of time the current input will remain on screen...heck, could also add these controls to the MultiMix module as well ;)

just a thought...