Previous topicNext topic

First thoughts...

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
tomwhite

First thoughts...

Post by tomwhite »

1st: AWESOME new features!! Thanks Eric for the update and the effort you put into this software-gem!

Now to my first test (only some minutes up to now):

A) some movieclips that loaded into 1,65 didn´t load in 2.0 anymore. Does anybody else have this issue? (I already sent a file to Eric - he´ll check that)

B) The new Preview window is phantastic! Also making the name of the preview tab blue is handy!
What about making the actually playing tab red (or green, or what ever...)? That would give a much better overview when flipping through scenes with strg+click

C) Folder view: Love it! (the new add folder option rocks!)
But I´m missing an option to go to a scene without playing it (like strg+click on the tabs at the top)

I´ll keep testing :-)
All in all a very feature rich update that improves the workflow a LOT!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: First thoughts...

Post by Magic »

A) some movieclips that loaded into 1,65 didn´t load in 2.0 anymore. Does anybody else have this issue? (I already sent a file to Eric - he´ll check that)
Thanks, it appears to be a bug with Unicode support for filenames. I think I can fix it pretty easily.
B) The new Preview window is phantastic! Also making the name of the preview tab blue is handy!
What about making the actually playing tab red (or green, or what ever...)? That would give a much better overview when flipping through scenes with strg+click
I experimented with that, but I couldn't find anything that looked good and functioned intuitively. I'll keep working on it though, and hopefully I'll come up with something good for one of the next releases after 2.0.
But I´m missing an option to go to a scene without playing it (like strg+click on the tabs at the top)
You can Ctrl+click on the triangle arrow in the folder view. :)
tomwhite

Post by tomwhite »

A) sounds good :-)
will it then also be possible to diplay e.g. "öäü" in the text module?

B) something like this, marking the playing scene, would pop my eye during performance :-)
magic red playing scene.gif
magic red playing scene.gif (9.78 KiB) Viewed 5639 times
what do you think about that?

C) aaawww, I could have figured out that myself :-/ since everything in MAGIC is built so straight forward and logical! Thanks for the hint!

-------

feature ideas:

do you plan to have the option to enable a grid the modules can snap to? That would give my chaotic layouts at least a bit more ordered look :-)

I think it would be very practical to have the option to keep the annotations visible, when collapsing a module. What do think about that? Would that be feasible?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

A) sounds good :-)
will it then also be possible to diplay e.g. "öäü" in the text module?
Yup, I think I'll be able to fix that.
what do you think about that?
It also has to look good in normal (light) UI mode. And there are a few other issues too. I'm trying to figure them out :).
do you plan to have the option to enable a grid the modules can snap to? That would give my chaotic layouts at least a bit more ordered look :-)

I think it would be very practical to have the option to keep the annotations visible, when collapsing a module. What do think about that? Would that be feasible?
Those are good ideas, but we're not adding any new features to 2.0 right now so it stays as stable as possible. Only bug fixes.

I think the grid is a new idea and it's interesting :). But if you want to line up your modules, you can use the Auto-Arrange command (Edit > Auto Arrange).

The annotations idea is already on my list.
tomwhite

Post by tomwhite »

Hi Eric

& thanks for the info. Sound good!

Concerning Auto-Arrange:
In my actual setup I have lined up the modules horizontally, feeding the last module of a row to the first module of the row below, and so on.
If you hit auto arrange, all modules flip up to a row, making the layout unuseable.
So a shortcut to letting the modules arrange to next underlying gridpoint (e.g. the one that is already shown in the background) would do the job here :-)

All in all 2.0 seems to be rocksolid as the versions before, for my needs.
I´m a big fan since v1.5 or so and only had about three unreproduceable crashes. Very stable!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, sounds good :). Thanks very much, I'm glad 2.0 is working well for you.