Previous topicNext topic

Text module - X (& Y) translation before alignment

Suggestions for new features for Magic.
Terry Payman

Text module - X (& Y) translation before alignment

Post by Terry Payman »

Say I have some text that I wish to place in the bottom left of the screen. I use the Text module followed by the Translate module.

Generally when I change the text string I must also change the X Translation, and it's difficult to maintain a consistent left start position.

The utility of the Text Module's Align options seems severely reduced if the text position needs Translation. Much better if the translation comes before the alignment. Perhaps additionally have option to specify Left Margin, Bottom Margin etc. so that the Bottom Left text alignment would be preserved with changes of text size and screen aspect ratio.

Whilst the lid's off the Text Module, I'd love an option for the text string to dynamically follow the current scene name if the text string was eg %SCENE%

*EDIT* ... and %PLAYLIST% to show Playlist entry#
artnik

Re: Text module - X (& Y) translation before alignment

Post by artnik »

As far as I can see it's always center aligned, no matter what you select. Of course, since it's only a single line of type, "alignment" is a superfluous concept. Without something to align to, it literally can't align.

Having said that, I thought the options would perhaps change the origin point of the text and affect subsequent translations, but it seems to make no difference.

Or is there a way to do multiple lines with the TEXT module that I'm missing?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yeah, I definitely need to add some better alignment options. I'll probably be able to make it so that you can align to the window rather than just the text itself.
Whilst the lid's off the Text Module, I'd love an option for the text string to dynamically follow the current scene name if the text string was eg %SCENE%
It's a great idea to have some variables like that.
Or is there a way to do multiple lines with the TEXT module that I'm missing?
A double backslash can be used to indicate a newline, i.e., Hello\\World. This is when the Align parameter does something useful :).
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

:D Thanks guys! :D

So much to look forward to ....