Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:34 pm

As per the title, two features that should go together:

A. The ability to lock the resolution of a module to a set resolution, no matter the export/window/sprout v2 resolution.
B. Per-module resolution scaling, from the locked resolution, so the physical size is the same between resolutions, while the rendered (pre scaling) resolution stays the same.

The benefits here are mostly for Magic modules/ISF modules that may change in apperance significantly depending on the resolution, or for stylistic reasons (like rendering one of the effects/layers in a much lower res).
Korro
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:13 pm

Re: Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:37 pm

I believe that what you're suggesting is already available via the Resolution module.
Magic
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3329
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:19 pm

Magic wrote:I believe that what you're suggesting is already available via the Resolution module.


So, I tried using it to achieve what I want, and sadly, the export movie option just ignores the module from what I can tell.
Is it possible to disable that behaviour?
Korro
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:13 pm

Re: Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:45 pm

I guess I'm not understanding. Can you post a screenshot of your project?
Magic
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3329
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:55 pm

Magic wrote:I guess I'm not understanding. Can you post a screenshot of your project?

https://i.imgur.com/P6CRUwI.png
the end result is that the resolution module gets ignored/bypassed upon exporting it as a movie
Korro
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:13 pm

Re: Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:23 pm

I'm wondering whether the OP is wanting the output of the Resolution module to be a fixed resolution (here 360x240 pixels), regardless of the resolution of the Magic Window. The FFT Spectrogram would then only occupy only a small portion of the Magic Window.

I would find fixed output resolution to be a useful tick-box option on the Resolution module - saving the use of a following Scale module when several small elements are arranged within the Magic window. Each would then then rendered at exactly the resolution required.

This would possibly be more efficient if it saved an unwanted upscale and subsequent downscale.

I find it very useful to use the Magic window Width and Height in expressions to set the Resolution module Width and Height, allowing elements to be rendered at an appropriate resolution regardless of the Magic window resolution.
Terry Payman
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:15 am
Location: UK

Re: Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:22 am

Aha. Yes, I think that would be a useful option. Thanks.
Magic
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3329
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:25 am

Terry Payman wrote:I'm wondering whether the OP is wanting the output of the Resolution module to be a fixed resolution (here 360x240 pixels), regardless of the resolution of the Magic Window. The FFT Spectrogram would then only occupy only a small portion of the Magic Window.

I would find fixed output resolution to be a useful tick-box option on the Resolution module - saving the use of a following Scale module when several small elements are arranged within the Magic window. Each would then then rendered at exactly the resolution required.

This would possibly be more efficient if it saved an unwanted upscale and subsequent downscale.

I find it very useful to use the Magic window Width and Height in expressions to set the Resolution module Width and Height, allowing elements to be rendered at an appropriate resolution regardless of the Magic window resolution.


Tbf this isn't really want I want. But, admittedly, it would be useful.

My issue is that I want the output to be rendered at a set resolution, then upscaled from that resolution to fit the set window/export resolution.
It works for the window, but using export movie seems to fully nullify that behaviour. The end result is that what I get in the magic window doesn't match the exported video file :(
Korro
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:13 pm

Re: Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:30 pm

Korro, I took a moment to copy your node graph and upload the result to YT. This is an FFT at 320x240 using the resolution node and exported to 1080p. Nothing changed from your 3 nodes in your screen grab (btw, you don't have to use imgur, you can upload images direct to the forum).

[media]


Either your computer is the issue or there is something later in your scene node graph that is stopping you from getting what you want.

Terry, great idea and something I've thought would be useful for a while just never took the initiative to suggest, so thank you. I'm sure that the Magic devs would do it this way, but here's my 2-cents, rather than a tick-box, a Scale dropdown as in the media nodes would be more consistent and more functional.
Sadler
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:23 pm

Sadler wrote:Korro, I took a moment to copy your node graph and upload the result to YT. This is an FFT at 320x240 using the resolution node and exported to 1080p. Nothing changed from your 3 nodes in your screen grab (btw, you don't have to use imgur, you can upload images direct to the forum).

[media]


Either your computer is the issue or there is something later in your scene node graph that is stopping you from getting what you want.

Terry, great idea and something I've thought would be useful for a while just never took the initiative to suggest, so thank you. I'm sure that the Magic devs would do it this way, but here's my 2-cents, rather than a tick-box, a Scale dropdown as in the media nodes would be more consistent and more functional.


I tried some things and, somehow, the issue magically fixed itself.
I have no idea how, but it works as intended now.
But I have earlier examples where I was losing my mind saved, if anyone is curious, which led me to making this thread in the first place.
Korro
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:13 pm

Re: Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:14 pm

Sadler wrote:...Terry, great idea and something I've thought would be useful for a while just never took the initiative to suggest, so thank you. I'm sure that the Magic devs would do it this way, but here's my 2-cents, rather than a tick-box, a Scale dropdown as in the media nodes would be more consistent and more functional.

Sorry Sadler, I don't quite get what you have in mind and I'm keen to learn more. but thinking about it I came up with the idea of a second tickbox(!), Percent.

If Percent is ticked one could enter, say, 25 to give a resolution of 25%, saving the need for an expression to calculate the Width and Height.
Terry Payman
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:15 am
Location: UK

Re: Resolution scaling + per module resolution lock.

Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:20 am

Hey Terry, a scale factor would be more versatile for sure, but I'd leave that to the Scale node. My most common use case for the Resolution node is to change resolution to be bigger than the output window and then necessarily (un)scaling it back to its native size (e.g. 2kx2k) after Res has scaled to window height (by default). If the Resolution node didn't scale at all that would suit me.

resolution.jpg
resolution.jpg (8.36 KiB) Viewed 35 times

None would suit my use case and is the same as your 'fixed output' option, Fit Height would suit Korro's use case without tricky % calculations.
Sadler
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK

Return to Feature Requests

© 2022 Color & Music, LLC • This web site is mobile-friendly