Previous topicNext topic

Using MIDI to toggle a module parameter on/off

Tutorials, FAQs, resources, and examples for using Magic.
Magic
Site Admin

Using MIDI to toggle a module parameter on/off

Post by Magic »

Many hardware MIDI controllers let you configure their buttons so they act as on/off toggle switches, rather than only being on when they are held down ("momentary"). However, not all controllers support this.

Here's a nifty trick to emulate a MIDI toggle switch for any module parameter in Magic. After linking the parameter to your desired MIDI button, add two modifiers with the values shown below:
MidiPowerToggle.png
MidiPowerToggle.png (19.68 KiB) Viewed 28132 times
This modifier sequence will make it so that whenever you press your MIDI button, the parameter value will continually toggle between 0 and 1. Try it out! And of course, let me know if you have any questions.
Sadler

Re: Using MIDI to toggle a module parameter on/off

Post by Sadler »

Yes, nifty and with an invert toggle and swap nodes and params with one button!
Davy

Post by Davy »

Hello!

I am totally new here, first day on mmv. I simply try to trigger a Video File with my SPD-Sx sampler.

Everything goes well with the source settings; it connects well. But when i try to trigger it, nothing appears.

I tried the work round described in this topic, but i don't know how to get the Power item in the module or how to get the number 1 in the box below the warp.

Or does it work differently with a video file?
Attachments
Scherm­afbeelding 2023-08-06 om 12.37.35.png
Scherm­afbeelding 2023-08-06 om 12.37.35.png (253.16 KiB) Viewed 13987 times
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Hi Davy, welcome

You'll want have a bit of a read: Disabling Modules

If your looking to restart a video, I would suggest using the 'Goto Start' toggle. The 'Reload' is really for when source files change.

If you want to toggle off/on the power for the module then just copy Eric's screenshot above. It sounds like you need to display the power toggle first - there's a context menu for that and you can set it for all modules by default. If you want your video to continue from when it last played the toggle off 'Scene Start'.

You will also want to have a look at the playlist as a way to trigger videos - especially in sequence. You can set up midi control of this too.

There are plenty of folks willing to help.
Davy

Post by Davy »

thanks for helping :)

it seems that my problem is that i use the ROLAND SPD-SX as a trigger. I tried to trigger this via Goto Start via my SL MK III keyboard and this works just fine.

I read the post related to the SPD-SX an triggering but i don't understand how to solve this issue. As far as I can understand is that the midi signal of de SPD is too short. But how can i make it longer?

Or do I have to solve it with the momentary / toggle option?
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

hello Davy,
late to the party, hope you have solved the issue. SPD and almost all drum triggers send note on and note off messages, but the interval between the 2 midi messages is too short for magic (and other softs). You'll have to filter the note off message before it reach Magic. You can do it by using another piece of software and then routing midi from this one to Magic using Loopmidi (tobias Erichsen) or another internal midi router.
Pizmidi (thepiz.org) as many midi VST plugins including filters and other modifiers.
Slavi

Post by Slavi »

Hey folks,

Can someone advise me on how to make the same toggle on/off, but with OSC?

Regards,
S.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

OSC is exactly the same if using a momentary control. Though Touch OSC has momentary, toggle-press and toggle-release options. With either toggle option you don't need any additional modifiers.
Slavi

Post by Slavi »

Yeah! Thank you Sadler!

Actually I am making something inspired by your Iterator (DNA) video ;)

Anyway, I did it like this:
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (18.7 KiB) Viewed 13728 times
Where I've enabled the Power parameter, then added an Offset (1) that I am Bypassing trough OSC (where I've enabled the toggle you've mentioned).

Thank you!

Regards,
S.