Previous topicNext topic

A couple new 3D Spectrum videos (and projects)

Tutorials, FAQs, resources, and examples for using Magic.
Magic
Site Admin

A couple new 3D Spectrum videos (and projects)

Post by Magic »

I was playing around with Magic the other day, and I ended up modifying a couple of the existing sample projects so that they use the 3D cube model (included with Magic) instead of just flat polygons.

Here are some YouTube videos I made. Make sure to watch them in 720p60 or 1080p60 if your internet connection is fast enough. The 60fps really makes a big difference, in my opinion.
(I got the audio tracks from this page, if you're interested: http://www.pumpyouup.com/free-electronica-download.aspx)

You'll notice that the first one is a little bit "smoother", and the second one is a little bit more "responsive". I did this just for some variety. It all depends on what kind of effect you're looking for.

Here are the project files:
3DSpectrum1.magic
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 2423 times
3DSpectrum2.magic
(9.53 KiB) Downloaded 2536 times
The following shader and 3D model are also necessary. They are included with Magic, but I'm posting them again here for convenience (so you don't have to go track them down):
lines3.txt
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 2414 times
cube.obj
(16.19 KiB) Downloaded 2365 times
I hope you enjoy, and please let me know if you have any questions about how anything works.
TanookiMonk

Re: A couple new 3D Spectrum videos (and projects)

Post by TanookiMonk »

Amazing !!
AniRhythm

Post by AniRhythm »

really nice work Eric, is this something a user can make from scratch or a custom coded developer exclusive thing ?

and if any user can make from scratch, can you please explain the concept behind a project like these ?

Cheers :)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

really nice work Eric, is this something a user can make from scratch
Of course! :) I attached the exact project files above. Did you try downloading them?
AniRhythm

Post by AniRhythm »

yes, I was studying the project but I can't make heads or tails of how it works hehehe = some of the entries, at least as I see them, are non expandable, which is what made me think it was a custom coding thing.

Edit -
admittedly i haven't dived deep into the technical side yet, and for the most part have been using magic to make video textures that react to the music, than detailed performances. these videos were impressive and made me appreciate how much more magic can do beyond the obvious.

I looked it over again, and starting to get an idea ....the source pane is the main block, and somehow that pane became a module, which i can't figure out how that happens yet - the modules were then duplicated in subsequent panes and nuanced with detail .....each detailed pane was then duplicated reassigned frequency values and repositioned - i haven't found how / where you positioned them so neatly in the scene yet either. Each side of freqency isolated pane blocks were then summed up in a main L and main R pane - that's where i'm upto so far
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Hmm, I think you are referring to the scene modules? They just represent whatever is in their corresponding scene tab. Nothing mysterious :).

If you want to read a bit about it, have a look at https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... eneModules
AniRhythm

Post by AniRhythm »

ahh, yes, the manual!! I should comb through it more, I did an initial scan / search but didn't find anything so thanks for pointing that out!
you did a great job with gui so i've never had to refer to it, it might be time heh!!

again, great job on this project, please make more like it - would be nice to see how far magic can go! If you need any 3D models just message me!

Cheers and thanks again!!