Previous topicNext topic

Video offsetting

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Fractal Grinder

Video offsetting

Post by Fractal Grinder »

Is there anyway to offset a video in Magic, without cutting any of the content out?

I have some seemless loops, but occasionally I would like to use the same video, multiple times in the same scene, but I want them to have different start positions, so they all dont loop exactly the same way, at the same time. Is there any way to accomplish this now, and if not is it something you could add?

Also, I dont know if this has been mentioned, I cant imagine that is hasnt, but if so, is it possible to add a ping pong, or a back end forth option in the Video node, to make videos that dont loop, loop?
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Video offsetting

Post by Magic »

I have some seemless loops, but occasionally I would like to use the same video, multiple times in the same scene, but I want them to have different start positions, so they all dont loop exactly the same way, at the same time. Is there any way to accomplish this now, and if not is it something you could add?
That's what the Start Time parameter is for... unless I'm not understanding?
Also, I dont know if this has been mentioned, I cant imagine that is hasnt, but if so, is it possible to add a ping pong, or a back end forth option in the Video node, to make videos that dont loop, loop?
Backwards playback is very inefficient, even for formats that support it. I strongly recommend you use a video-editing program to render a new video which has the original video forwards and then backwards. Then you can just loop it as normal.
Fractal Grinder

The start time cuts out some of the video i believe.. I would like it to just offset the time which it starts, so it will play the whole loop, just start at a different point, not cut any of it out.. I dont know if im conveying what I mean the best, but i dont believe that the VideoFile module can do what im asking, and that would be awesome if it could.

And in regards to my other question, I finally found a way to do that with my image sequences in After effects so ill just use that method to make them ping pong from now on.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I would like it to just offset the time which it starts, so it will play the whole loop, just start at a different point, not cut any of it out.. I dont know if im conveying what I mean the best, but i dont believe that the VideoFile module can do what im asking, and that would be awesome if it could.
I think what you want to do is use the Power param:
PowerParamIncreaseThreshold.png
PowerParamIncreaseThreshold.png (28.7 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
In this case, the module won't turn on until 2 seconds after the scene has started. Then, the video will play and loop as normal.

If you wanted to change the delay, just alter the Increase parameter with 1/delay, so a 2 second delay is 1/2 = .5 as above, and a 4 second delay would be 1/4 = .25, etc.

There are probably other ways to do it, but that's what I came up with just now :).
Fractal Grinder

Oh wow. Very cool, I dont fully understand all the math behind all the modifiers yet, thank you.
They Said They Saw

Post by They Said They Saw »

Fractal Grinder wrote:Is there anyway to offset a video in Magic, without cutting any of the content out?

I want them to have different start positions, so they all dont loop exactly the same way, at the same time.
Hey! In case you haven't figured by now, you can also use 'Goto Start ' alongside 'Start Time'.

'Goto Start' restarts the clip when the value is 0.5 so you may want to add scale and offset to fine tune the output as close as possible to that value -I tend to use a value around 0'4 on offset. 'Scale' is to magnify the audio input if necessary, although you can also rise the audio input volume from the audio/midi window.

Then if on 'Start Time' you apply the random property, the clip will jump to a random frame rather than being always the same.

I normally use these settings with the 20-80Hz frequency to make random jumps over the beat, although is not 100% accurate.

Please note that if the 'speed' value is negative, it overrides the value on 'Start Time' back to 0, so it goes always to the first frame. I don't know how to get around this and I think it is a bug of Magic 1.65, can't state about version 2.

I would uploaded an image but I don't know how to do it. :P