Previous topicNext topic

music to fractal visualization?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
nomainst

music to fractal visualization?

Post by nomainst »

Hello!

Does anyone know of any software that can generate fractal image visualization from music? All I've found is software that can generate music from images/fractal! Is it possible to generate fractal image visualization in real-time from music?

Thanks!
Jan Erik
Magic
Site Admin

Re: music to fractal visualization?

Post by Magic »

Hi Jan, Magic can do this in a basic way using the Fractal module and the 2DScenes module. Aside from that, I'm not sure if any other software has more complex options. What features were you looking for specifically?
Eric
nomainst

Post by nomainst »

Hi Eric: Thanks for your prompt response. I'm interested in generating fractal graphic visualization from specific songs, say like Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile and be able to get the same result over and over again. And, that Jimi Hendrix - If 6 was 9 gave a completely different graphic visualization than Voodoo Chile.

Is that possible?

Jan Erik
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

To be honest I'm not sure about that. It sounds like you are talking about a very high-level type of control, but fractals are somewhat complicated and I don't know where it would get you to just change one value. I'm not an expert in fractal software though. You've probably been to this page but I'll post it so others can have a look: http://fractalfoundation.org/resources/ ... -software/

As far as Magic is concerned, your best bet is to have a look at the GLSL Sandbox http://glsl.heroku.com/ and see if you like any of the fractal shaders there. Then you can copy and paste them into a text file for use in Magic's 2DScenes module. That's how this video was made:
Eric
nomainst

Post by nomainst »

Thanks Eric! I got an interesting idea for the use of fractal visualization if it's generated from music. Would you be interested in hooking up next time I'm in LA to discuss my idea?

Jan Erik
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Of course. Let me know when you're in town. :)
Eric