Previous topicNext topic

Using VideoStream

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
calartsci

Using VideoStream

Post by calartsci »

Just upgraded so I could use the VideoStream feature. It works fine using the test links in the user manual. I am hoping to use it for viewing streaming web videos from sites like YouTube, etc. However, when I enter a specific YouTube video URL, the VideoStream module does not accept it. The URL data simply disappears from the URL entry box. I've tried using streaming webcam URLs from a variety of sites but none seem to work (eg: https://youtu.be/zZ8Fwwvx4go). Is it because these are webpage addresses, rather than device addresses, or what am I missing?
Thanks!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Using VideoStream

Post by Magic »

Is it because these are webpage addresses, rather than device addresses
Yes that's basically correct. The VideoStream module needs the URL of the original device, or at least of a device that supports standard streaming video protocols.

What's happening in live YouTube streams is the following:
Device -> YouTube -> you

As opposed to:
Device -> you

As far as I know, YouTube's live-streaming feeds don't follow standard protocols, so that's why they don't work in the VideoStream module. YouTube wants you to visit their site because then they can show you advertisements :).
calartsci

Post by calartsci »

That is what I suspected. It's easy enough to download a particular Youtube video & audio, separately, to run together in my Magic app. But I thought it would be very cool to be able to browse Youtube and use just an address to see the video in Magic.
Thanks!
jenz

Post by jenz »

Is there a work around with Magic V 2.12 to stream vids from Youtube?
Thanx!!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I guess you could capture it from your desktop, but that's about it.
jenz

Post by jenz »

Eric wrote:I guess you could capture it from your desktop, but that's about it.
How would I do that? What module i’d be using?

Thanx!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Try googling or searching these forums for “ManyCam”. Very nice little app that can capture your desktop and present it as a capture device that you can use with the VideoCapture module in Magic.