Previous topicNext topic

accessing streams of several WIFI cams

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
SoundRehabAustria

accessing streams of several WIFI cams

Post by SoundRehabAustria »

Hi!

Is there any way / trick to access streams of several WIFI cams and get the into the web cm module of Magic? So far I only got one to work (with a much bigger delay than when viewing the stream in VLC).

In case there is no hope to achieve this, please also let me know because then I will have to figure out a cabled solution (but that is far less attractive).

Many thanks in advance.

Rob
Magic
Site Admin

Re: accessing streams of several WIFI cams

Post by Magic »

Are you running on Windows or OS X? The VidCap module currently has certain limitations for device compatibility, depending upon the platform. For example, Windows only supports devices that are UVC-compliant (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_video_device_class for more info).

One utility a few people have found useful is ManyCam (https://manycam.com/), which presents itself as its own device in the VidCap module. It has better support for wi-fi cameras, which you can then route to Magic. There are quite a few posts on here about it if you search for VidCap or ManyCam.

However, I usually always recommend wired cameras over wi-fi, mainly because of the latency as you noticed. Also, wi-fi signals can be problematic in performance venues, due to interference from other equipment and people's cell phones, etc.
SoundRehabAustria

Re: accessing streams of several WIFI cams

Post by SoundRehabAustria »

Thanks for your tips ... nevertheless I'm aborting efforts to get WIFI cams working. I spent about a week trying virtually everything that is out there on the web, but could not get it to feed video into Magic ... now I'll try the wired webcam route to see far this will get me ...