Previous topicNext topic

midi controller troubles

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
blackdot

midi controller troubles

Post by blackdot »

hi there
i wanted to ask if any of you have made experience with multiple of the same midi controller. i have 3 nanokontrol2 because their cheap and awesome, however i get problems with windows and magic confusing which one is which, and find myself readjudsting the inputs everytime i reboot or unplug one. to exclude some problems, i labeled my controllers and cables and usb sockets. so i plug in every controller in the same usb socket. however windows and magic still rearrange them, which is quite annoying.

have you made any experience with this and come up with a solution? i tried renaming the devices in the registry, however these changes although working, dont last very long and suddently it's a new device again.
i'm also using the usb driver from korg, uninstalled all controllers, then replugged/reinstalled them in the correct order. that order doesnt persist though.

sometimes it works to uninstall them, then plug them in in the right order (and have windows install them "successfully"). eg. right now, it's fine again. but for how long :S

also i feel that the "midi learn" function has sometimes problems with distinguishing. it selects the right slider/button, but the wrong input. when i manually select the right input, then it works. when i then again change the input and again 'learn', it then correctly selects the right input. weird. maybe because in windows the devices all have the same namem (only in the korg usb or controller software they get different numbers as suffixes).
Magic
Site Admin

Re: midi controller troubles

Post by Magic »

Hmm, that's an interesting situation. I'm not sure what I can do about it in Magic, but I'll see if I can think of anything. Googling around a bit seems to indicate that Windows itself doesn't handle multiple identical MIDI devices very well.

Here are a few thoughts that might help:

1- Since every module source in every Magic scene is routed through the Audio/MIDI window, all you have to do is select a different source for an input. I did it this way specifically so that it's easy to switch devices, and so that you don't have to go through modules one-by-one (which would be really annoying and time-consuming). See https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... #MIDIInput

2- For an even greater level of abstraction, I wonder if you can "wrap" your midi devices in a virtual MIDI driver such as JACK (http://jackaudio.org/), which might be better at distinguishing devices. Not sure though. I've also used this guy's software before, and it's pretty good: http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software.html

3- Is there a way to change the MIDI channel of the controller? Might help to keep them separate.

If I can think of anything else I'll post again.
blackdot

Re: midi controller troubles

Post by blackdot »

1- thats what ive been doing so far. Still tediuos if you often have to figure out which is which and readjust. Not impossible but bit tedious.

2-i might look into this. I also have "virtual midi controller" which can rerout incoming midi As well.

3-yes it can do that. By default all of them are on channel one. Ill try that. Thanks.