Previous topicNext topic

Exporting .mp4

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
thepoisoner

Exporting .mp4

Post by thepoisoner »

Hi,
Just downloaded the demo & loving it, although much to learn.
Looking to buy the full product but one question - when I try to export a video as an .mp4 I am unable to tick the box to select .mp4, is this because I have the demo version?
I'm on a reasonably old mac running 10.6.8
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Exporting .mp4

Post by Magic »

Unfortunately .mp4 exporting is only supported in OS X 10.7 or later :(. Magic uses the newest Mac video technology which was introduced in 10.7.
thepoisoner

Post by thepoisoner »

Oh no, gutted :cry:

Many thanks for your reply, what are my other options please?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Do you mean your other options for exporting? Well, you can export as a .png sequence, and then use another program to encode to whatever video format you want. There's a bit more info here: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... eoSoftware

Or, another solution is to use a real-time video capturing tool like Camtasia or something. But the quality (mainly the smoothness) won't be as good.

I strongly recommend you consider upgrading to at least 10.7, because the multimedia support is *much* better. :) Or you could just dual-boot your system so you don't have to give up 10.6.

The lack of .mp4 exporting in 10.6 is actually a licensing issue, not a technology issue.
thepoisoner

Post by thepoisoner »

Thanks Eric, yes I did mean exporting.

Those options are much appreciated, and it's nuts that it's a licensing issue. I doubt I'll update my 10.6.8 because she seems so content.
I have a PC running windows 8.1 at work, could I do all the arty bumfluff of an evening on my Mac, and then import the work to my PC and export the .mp4 this way (using the same license code) during the cold light of day?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

What I meant is just that OS X 10.6 doesn't have a built-in .mp4 encoder (or at least there isn't a 64-bit one, if I remember correctly), so we would have to license one separately. And it seems silly to make Magic more expensive just for one older OS, you know? :)

Anyway, yes, your projects are fully interchangeable between PC and Mac. You can transfer your product key between computers, but you have to remember to manually deactivate on one before activating on the other.
thepoisoner

Post by thepoisoner »

Thanks Eric, I tried recording a test last night with screenflow & it came out pretty good (on the mac), so that is a decent workaround for now.

It's a good price point right now for the software, so I agree in not putting the price up. Will be buying the full version before the end of my trial ;)