Previous topicNext topic

Luma keying of video for mood lights

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
slymartins

Luma keying of video for mood lights

Post by slymartins »

I'm looking into doing (or contracting someone) for a small project, and was wondering if Magic could do something like this. I've posted on a couple of other forums, but this seems well frequented, so just thought of asking here too. Details below. TIA!

I need pixels of a particular luma range to be sequenced on screen for a video. Eg. show only the pixels of 0-10% brightness, then 10-20%, etc. in rapid succession. Probably can't do a sweep for every single frame in the video, but the more the better. With each sweep/gray tone, it needs to send a DMX signal to turn on a corresponding LED strip mood light (10 of them non RGB, so 10 channels?).

Other than that, just need a sweep to turn on the lights only, 1 thru 10 and back (not attached to the video), just to test them. And that's it, really. The goal is to allow me to control the individual mood lights with the gray tones I put in the video/animation. The video flicker is part of the effect I'm going for as well, so it's not just to trigger the lights. This is how I envision the flow:

VJ software -> cheapo 10 chn. DMX controller -> LED dimmer -> LED strips (x10)

Is this feasible in Magic? Or if anyone is interested in making a few bucks let me know, I rather have someone do it. Message me or give me a way to contact you so we can talk. I'd prefer if it could be done in free or relatively affordable VJ software like Magic. Thanks!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Luma keying of video for mood lights

Post by Magic »

Magic can't output DMX unfortunately. If you want to inquire about us writing a DMX module from scratch, you can feel free to contact us , but it would probably be more expensive than using an app that already supported it.
slymartins

Re: Luma keying of video for mood lights

Post by slymartins »

Thank you, Eric. It's too bad, sounds like Magic would be a great solution. Appreciate it anyway.